• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Use & Occupancy

Yankee

A 2200sf convenience market (M) gutted and rebuilt, if the pre-prepared food section also provides made-to-order to go sandwiches/meals, is there any distinction between pre-prepared and made to order uses within the M occupancy?

I wouldn't think so..other than are they doing cooking/frying with grease/smoke that could generate a Type-I hood requirement?

They have them in every large grocery store here. Still an M occupancy with possibly a Type I hood and fire suppression. I would be concerned if they had seating to make sure it didn't fall into an A occupancy. Otherwise we classify them as accessory to the main occupancy.

<50 ppl accommodated, it would be accessory. I have seen some with like 20 seats (ie Target). If you get into 50+ seats I would be looking at Group A.

EDIT: there is also a 750 sq.ft. exception

Yankee,

Typically, the pre-prepared food products have minimal F.O.G.

by-products to contend with, while the "made-to-order" type

' could ' generate an amount of F.O.G. that could be

detrimental to the AHJ sewer system.

Did the Public Works Dept. have a look at the plans before

opening? How will the owners address the disposal of the

F.O.G., ...if there is any? What about wastes disposal?

Does this remodeled (M) have a dedicated dumpster for

food wastes? If a Type 1 hood is not justified, what about

sufficient type & quantity of portable fire extinguishers?

Smoke detectors, etc., and on and on and on.

Just my 2 cents! :cool: