• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Use of pancake boxes

Robert Ellenberg

Can you use these for mounting light fixtures? I know you can mount fixtures with closed backs and knockouts without a box but I have a location I need to mount a wall fixture on a solid wall. I thought perhaps it is within code to use it since the canopy of the fixture gives soom room to make up the wire connections. If not, how can you use a box with only 4.5 CI?

Re: Use of pancake boxes

Sorry no one has answered this....so I'll bump it back up and try to get a response.

Robert Ellenberg said:
Can you use these for mounting light fixtures? I know you can mount fixtures with closed backs and knockouts without a box but I have a location I need to mount a wall fixture on a solid wall. I thought perhaps it is within code to use it since the canopy of the fixture gives soom room to make up the wire connections. If not, how can you use a box with only 4.5 CI?
Yes, a pancake box can be used to support a luminaire. If the luminaire canopy is marked with a volume you can use that volume in conjunction with the volume of the pancake box to meet the box fill requirements. (take a look at 314.16(A))

Chris

The pancake type box [ PB ] will be ' surface ' mounted to a solid wall surface? How will

the light fixture be attached to the PB? Is the weight of the fixture a concern for the

structural capacity of the PB [ i.e. - will the PB actually support the weight of the fixture? ],

or are there other means of support planned? Just asking some prelim. questions... :cool:

`08 NEC - Art. 314.23(A).

I intend to mount it flush (recessed 5/8" from wall surface) and screwed solidly through the back of the metal box into structure material behind it and then hang a lightweight fixture from a fixture bar that would be attached to the box.

Is the wall that you want to mount this "pancake type" box non-combustible?

See Art. 314.20 [ `08 NEC ] for the limits on recessing the box.