• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Using an RV propane heater/furnace in a house

cyberwombat

I am building a small efficient cabin/house and am looking for a small forced air propane furnace - the ones I like are the ones found in RVs such as the suburban and dometic. https://pantherrvproducts.com/furnace-units/ - I am not finding much in terms of code (I am on IRC 2018) that would tell me whether one of these is allowed in a house. Does someone have some info?

Thanks!

Not worried about efficiency - I have a wood stove - its more to keep the house from freezing when am gone for more than a day.

Code will not tell you that you can use a particular unit type in a building, the code will tell you that you can install the device in accordance the manufactures listing and instructions.

based on that it is not listed for use in in a home. You could call the manufactures and see it they have something else

& * & * &

cyberwombat, ...give some consideration to using the Mr. Heater,
Big or Little Buddy.........I use the Little Buddy in my own home.
There are other brands out there in the market, I just have first-

hand experience with the Little Buddy.........It accommodates a
hose connection or a canister.

proxy-image

& * & * &

Last edited: