• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Using cellular PVC in exterior walls as ribs for a tiny home... Florida Building Code Residential?

CyberPine

I have this idea for a simple construction style using 2x4s screwed together with 3 and 4 inch galvanized screws and then many 1x4x12 cellular PVC ribs screwed in with 1.5 inch screws as ribs every 12 inches and then skinned with 26ga steel siding. It's far from typical construction style I know. However, I know the resulting structure when locked together will be extremely strong and wind resistant...and while this will be fine for a shed, can this construction style somehow pass Florida Residential Building codes?

I ask a Florida county building department with a very liberal tiny home provisions and zero minimum dwelling sizes and they basically said I needed an approved engineer to confirm this and draft up approved plans. here's their exact statement:

"Wind rating is not all that has to be considered. Exterior walls must meet the requirements of Chapter 6 of Florida Building Code (FBC) Residential. The roof assembly will have to meet the requirements of FBC Residential Chapter 9. Insulation type and “R” value will be determined by FBC Energy Conservation calculations. An energy form will need to be completed and submitted with the building application. Interior wall finish will need to meet the requirements of FBC Residential Chapter 7."

This youtube shows what I am trying to build (don't mind size and height requirements).. I'm only concerned about Florida structure and insulation code comments made by the county.

steel and cellular PVC arch building

Thank You!

I have this idea for a simple construction style using 2x4s screwed together with 3 and 4 inch galvanized screws and then many 1x4x12 cellular PVC ribs screwed in with 1.5 inch screws as ribs every 12 inches and then skinned with 26ga steel siding. It's far from typical construction style I know. However, I know the resulting structure when locked together will be extremely strong and wind resistant...and while this will be fine for a shed, can this construction style somehow pass Florida Residential Building codes?

I ask a Florida county building department with a very liberal tiny home provisions and zero minimum dwelling sizes and they basically said I needed an approved engineer to confirm this and draft up approved plans. here's their exact statement:

"Wind rating is not all that has to be considered. Exterior walls must meet the requirements of Chapter 6 of Florida Building Code (FBC) Residential. The roof assembly will have to meet the requirements of FBC Residential Chapter 9. Insulation type and “R” value will be determined by FBC Energy Conservation calculations. An energy form will need to be completed and submitted with the building application. Interior wall finish will need to meet the requirements of FBC Residential Chapter 7."

This youtube shows what I am trying to build (don't mind size and height requirements).. I'm only concerned about Florida structure and insulation code comments made by the county.

steel and cellular PVC arch building

Thank You!

Looks a little shaky !!

See what an engineer thinks.

Looks a little shaky !!

See what an engineer thinks.
I plan to build one to prove it's solid like a rock, even on a soil cement floor. The 4" and 3" screws and metal L brackets where 2x4s intersect and given the small size will lock it tight . The pvc cellular board strips 12" on center will create a matrix of ribs pulling that 2x4 frame out. With the metal skin on I seriously doubt there will be anything but solid structure to rival a welded container box. But even then, this does not mean an Engineer will back it or be able to explain it. Not sure.

From a structural perspective the IBC and the IRC have not contemplated this type of construction. At best you will likely spend a considerable amount on engineering and testing.

From a structural perspective the IBC and the IRC have not contemplated this type of construction. At best you will likely spend a considerable amount on engineering and testing.
Yeah that is what I was anticipating.. no way to know without massive R&D that only happens when the masses are asking or when potential profits or savings are significant.

Someone is always trying to reinvent the wheel. Consider panelized construction, can be factory built, easy to ship and assemble on site.

Someone is always trying to reinvent the wheel. Consider panelized construction, can be factory built, easy to ship and assemble on site.
If they can panelize it at the factory, then surely i can diy panelize it in my garage and save 90% of the cost.