• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Using Chapter 34 ?

Arcanum

3 story buidling, 1900, first floor currently B and upper are R-2. Want to add R-2 at rear of First Floor. If I use the prescriptive method, is it possible not to put sprinklers in new r-2 on first floor, depending on score of course. I am planning on a fire barrier between new work and old so that it is its own fire area. Also a simple question. Why do you get a ht. and area increase for R-2 if sprinkled..I mean according to the Code R-2 has to be sprinkled regardless.

You get the height and area increase for a 13 or 13R system, but not for 13d or partial coverage.

The new addition has to be sprinklered.

3403.1 General.

Additions to any building or structure shall comply with the requirements of this code for new construction. Alterations to the existing building or structure shall be made to ensure that the existing building or structure together with the addition are no less conforming with the provisions of this code than the existing building or structure was prior to the addition . An existing building together with its additions shall comply with the height and area provisions of Chapter 5.

Applying IBC Section 3412 Compliance Alternatives could be an approach:

The provisions of this section are intended to maintain or increase the current degree of public safety, health and general welfare in existing buildings while permitting alterations, additions and change of occupancies without requiring full compliance with Chapters 2 through 33, or Section 3401.3, and 3403 through 3409, except where compliance with other provisions of this code is specifically required in this section.
It is impossible to answer what is required with regard to levels of protection and construction without performing a complete analysis in accordance with Section 3412. A Fire Protection Engineer could assist you in such an evaluation.

I believe the code requires the new addition to be sprinklered. No exceptions. 3412 would be used for the remainder of the building if alterations are being done in that area. 3412.2.2 requires the new addition to meet current code (R-2 sprinklers) if the new addition and the existing building exceed the Height and/or Area requirements then the options are a firewall creating 2 separate buildings for Height and Area determination or sprinkle the entire structure to get the allowed increases.

3412.2.3 Additions.

Additions to existing buildings shall comply with the requirements of this code for new construction. The combined height and area of the existing building and the new addition shall not exceed the height and area allowed by Chapter 5. Where a fire wall that complies with Section 706 is provided between the addition and the existing building, the addition shall be considered a separate building.

Ok here is the section I am considering using since I can separate the alteration on the first floor that was once B use to R-2..and then conform to requirements of "thIS section" without adding the sprinkler as long as I can acheive the proper building score.

3410.2.2 Partial change in occupancy.

Where a portion of the building is changed to a new occupancy classification, and that portion is separated from the remainder of the building with fire barriers or horizontal assemblies having a fire-resistance rating as required by Table 508.3.3 for the separate occupancies, or with approved compliance alternatives, the portion changed shall be made to conform to the provisions of this section.

I am meeting with building officials to work thru this....

Also with respect to the question regarding the increase in area...It just does not make sense that if you add a sprinkler to an r-2 building you get an area increase..but the sprinkler is required regardless....example..I want to do a 2 story 3b construction r-2 ...my maximum area 16,000 s.f. and ht. is 4 stories... but if I add sprinkler it can then be increased...why even provide the option...I think that since r-2 did not use to require sprinklers its just a "hanging chad" from the previous code

Pardon our manners, welcome to the board.

You get the area increases for a NFPA 13 system even if sprinklers are required elsewhere. In the case of R-2 occupancies, sprinklers per NFPA 13, area increase allowed. Sprinklers per NFPA 13-R, no area increase

Up until the 2009 code adoption MT followed the old UBC requirement of 16 units before sprinklers where required. Now we are down to 8 dwelling units before sprinklers are required. With all the trade off's given for sprinklers I am glad the ICC does not assume all jurisdictions adopt the code as written.