• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Using I-Codes during online testing

jaybrown

Has anyone used the new digital I-Codes feature while take a test recently? I'm really curious how smooth that is and if the Control + F feature works lol.

Last I checked, the only reference material allowed was bound, printed material.
Recently changed, they are trying to use the digital now.

To answer the OP, I don't know how it works, I'm scared to try it... Testing is stressful enough without having to be a guinea pig for a new program.

To answer the OP, I don't know how it works, I'm scared to try it... Testing is stressful enough without having to be a guinea pig for a new program.
I know how you feel. Part of me thinks I would probably navigate through the code sections faster as I do plan review using I-Codes for quick reference but during that high pressure situation I’m skeptical. There is a “sample” test you can get for free in the exam store and it gives you a simulated test you can use to feel it out but that didn’t cost you 300 bucks.

Very happy to see this discussion here. I happen to serve on an ICC committee that was very involved in the roll-out of the access to the digital codes during the PRONTO exams. If anyone has feedback, I'd really like to hear it so that I can share back with the committee.

As indicated, for those that have interest in using this new resource, visit https://codes.iccsafe.org/exams where you can run a trial experience that allows you to try out the digital code access experience.

While the premium features (bookmarks, highlighting, searching the whole book) are not enabled, I understand that the Ctrl-F function is functional, but will only search within the chapter you currently have open. You still have to know the general location of the code topic.

I look forward to seeing the feedback, and will be sure to share it back with ICC. Thanks!

Good to know, interesting, they change the rules when it benefits ICC. o_O

Good to know, interesting, they change the rules when it benefits ICC. o_O
How does it benefit ICC? In all the discussions I was a part of, this was intended to be an added benefit for the members. Alleviates the cost of having to procure the books or find copies that didn't violate the testing requirements. Some folks (particularly the younger generation) are more familiar with electronic searches. Nothing was taken away, just one more option provided.

It was just my observation on my part.

ICC has been hard and fast on in their requirements for testing materials, now they have a platform to promote the use of their digital codes.

And thanks for your inside info.

It's quicker for me to look in the book but upcodes.com works better for me then the ICC website.
500% agree! I just upped my subscription to test out the AI Copilot. It's pretty slick. Although not perfect, it gives insight for looking up in the code book & also gets you to the section of the code book.
I recently, for fun, did a 15 question plumbing quiz. It didn't get everything perfect, ex: using "should" vs. "shall", or missed a few words found in the code, but dang! It is very helpful.
Before anyone says that the information will be unreliable, I for one am not going to fully trust it. That would be insane. It is a HUGE time saver though!
Love my Up Codes! Sorry ICC....you have a long way to go to make your digital access comparable.

So, are the icodes going to be given for free during a test? or do we have to have the subscription?
They will be free to access, similar to the free viewing access that already exists. Those with the premium accounts will not be able to use the premium features though.

Very happy to see this discussion here. I happen to serve on an ICC committee that was very involved in the roll-out of the access to the digital codes during the PRONTO exams. If anyone has feedback, I'd really like to hear it so that I can share back with the committee.

As indicated, for those that have interest in using this new resource, visit https://codes.iccsafe.org/exams where you can run a trial experience that allows you to try out the digital code access experience.

While the premium features (bookmarks, highlighting, searching the whole book) are not enabled, I understand that the Ctrl-F function is functional, but will only search within the chapter you currently have open. You still have to know the general location of the code topic.

I look forward to seeing the feedback, and will be sure to share it back with ICC. Thanks!
Hi,
I just wanted to give an update on this. I passed my Plumbing Plans Examiner using a mixture of both the book and the I-Codes However I wanted to let you know I know two other inspectors had issues with accessing the I-Codes during the examination. Clicking the link brought them to a blank page and refresh didn't work. With the clock ticking they decided to abandon the digital and stick with the books. One inspector failed and when taking it again the same issue happened so he messaged the proctor and he paused his test and restarted his computer and restarted his test and it worked perfect after that.

Not sure if you've heard any other stories like that but I thought I should pass that along.

I am a fan of the update and hope any issues get ironed out.

Thanks!

Hi,
I just wanted to give an update on this. I passed my Plumbing Plans Examiner using a mixture of both the book and the I-Codes However I wanted to let you know I know two other inspectors had issues with accessing the I-Codes during the examination. Clicking the link brought them to a blank page and refresh didn't work. With the clock ticking they decided to abandon the digital and stick with the books. One inspector failed and when taking it again the same issue happened so he messaged the proctor and he paused his test and restarted his computer and restarted his test and it worked perfect after that.

Not sure if you've heard any other stories like that but I thought I should pass that along.

I am a fan of the update and hope any issues get ironed out.

Thanks!
I'll be sure to share this information with ICC staff. Thank you for passing the information along.