• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Using LVP on a floating ceiling above front-of-house serving line.

Ryan Schultz

Looking to use LVP/LVT on a curved, floating ceiling above the 'front-of-house' in fast food type restaurant. Kinda like Subway.

The building is a Type VB with sprinklers.

I would assume using LVP/LVT is allowed, as Type VB allows all types of materials. Would this be a correct interpretation?

Also, as I understand it, the flame spread index only needs to be Class C in this areas as well.

The equipment in the front-of-house is only used for warming. There's no open flames or grills.

video of space:

How will the Health Department react to the trusses, duct, conduits etc. exposed over the food?

I would assume using LVP/LVT is allowed, as Type VB allows all types of materials. Would this be a correct interpretation?

Also, as I understand it, the flame spread index only needs to be Class C in this areas as well.
Correct under the pretense of Ch. 6.

And yes, Class C is acceptable for both A-2 or B in a sprinkled building per Table 803.11 (WI 2015 IBC). Note: Class C applies to Rooms and Enclosed Spaces, but in an A-2, interior exist stairways and ramps, exit passageways, corridors, and enclosure for exit access stairways and ramps would require a Class B wall covering.

Class C -> Flame spread index of 76-200 and smoke-developed index of 0-450.

How will the Health Department react to the trusses, duct, conduits etc. exposed over the food?
Our department requires a washable ceiling above where food is prepped or serviced. The floating ceiling, in this case, is above those areas.
LVP/LVT is assumed to be a washable surface.