• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Based on the POCO transformer dataplate seen below, what is the fault current that you would expect at the line terminals of the service disconnect? Please answer Line to Line and Line to Neutral.

IMG_1695.JPG

We can tell you fault current at tranny secondary bushings but for the service disconnect need to know wire size and length between the two.

We can tell you fault current at tranny secondary bushings but for the service disconnect need to know wire size and length between the two.

You ruin everything with trick questions!

So after we figure the fault current at the secondary taps, what is it at the service disconnect if the run is parallel (2) 350's @ 50'?

Jeff,
Maybe one in a hundred commercial electrical inspectors have the knowledge that you do. It's not that it is so complicated but rather that they have not been exposed to the formula. I for one would never need to know. Not that it would never come up during an inspection but because I ask for the number and run it by my electrical engineer.

So be a Peach and tell us how to do it.

Thanks in advance

Jeff,
Maybe one in a hundred commercial electrical inspectors have the knowledge that you do. It's not that it is so complicated but rather that they have not been exposed to the formula. I for one would never need to know. Not that it would never come up during an inspection but because I ask for the number and run it by my electrical engineer.

So be a Peach and tell us how to do it.

Thanks in advance

This is actually somewhat of a repeat: https://www.thebuildingcodeforum.com/forum/threads/calculating-fault-current.24172/

There isn't always an engineer needed for every transformer swap, or electrical job.
My jurisdiction has combination inspectors. We are tasked with all of the codes. I know enough to ask when I know that I don't know.

None of us are supposed to inspect a transformer that was not plan checked by our electrical engineers. We seldom see a transformer installation. It takes the burden from the inspector....an inspector that has plenty to do.....an inspector that just came from a re-roof inspection and has new house, framing and all of the roughs, up next. Add to that the experience level that abounds here and ....well thank goodness that we have the engineers.

My jurisdiction has combination inspectors. We are tasked with all of the codes. I know enough to ask when I know that I don't know.

None of us are supposed to inspect a transformer that was not plan checked by our electrical engineers. We seldom see a transformer installation. It takes the burden from the inspector....an inspector that has plenty to do.....an inspector that just came from a re-roof inspection and has new house, framing and all of the roughs, up next. Add to that the experience level that abounds here and ....well thank goodness that we have the engineers.

Most inspection departments/agencies do not have the luxury of an in house engineer. I guess you are lucky.

Most inspection departments/agencies do not have the luxury of an in house engineer. I guess you are lucky.
We have all kinds..... in the dozens. If it was left up to the administration, there wouldn't be anything but engineers.

Last edited: