• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

utilizing electrical/mechanical room for office space

cheyer

I have an existing hotel that is using the electrical/mechanical room as office space.

I have addressed the obvious electrical concerns (open j-boxes, etc.), clearance issues, and have involved the building department due to the new furnaces for the HVAC being in there, and possibly other permitting issues......if you have encountered similar situations, what have you required or not allowed? I could not find, thus far, any code language to not allow them to do so. The hotel is sprinkled and does have a f/a system.

Thanks.

Re: utilizing electrical/mechanical room for office space

Is it a full time office or just a space for the building engineer?

Wow, what did they do to get on the General Manager's bad side. From a code standpoint, does the space have ventilation as required for an office space? Depening upon how the building was designed, there probably is not a required fire resistive separation between an office space and a mechanical room.

I keep going back to an electrical or mechanical room now a days does not look like one when the codes were first developed!!!!!!!!!!!

so do the codes some how need to be updated!!!

is one or two circuit breaker panels in a room an electrical room????

315.2.3 Equipment rooms. Combustible material shall not

be stored in boiler rooms, mechanical rooms or electrical

equipment rooms.

315.2 Storage in buildings. Storage of combustible materials

in buildings shall be orderly. Storage shall be separated from

heaters or heating devices by distance or shielding so that ignition

cannot occur.

INCIDENTAL USE AREAS

ROOM OR AREA

SEPARATION AND/OR

PROTECTION

Furnace room where any piece of

equipment is over 400,000 Btu

per hour input

1 hour or provide automatic

fire-extinguishing system

MECHANICAL EQUIPMENT/APPLIANCE ROOM. A room or space in which nonfuel-fired mechanical

equipment and appliances are located.

FURNACE ROOM. A room primarily utilized for the installation of fuel-burning, space-heating and water-heating appliances other than boilers (see also “Boiler room”)

Can't find a definition for electrical room or electrical equipment

There is a VAV box above my desk (no ceiling). Does that make my office a "mechanical room"?

Coug Dad

I think if your office is like mine it is an "O" occupancy

Outhouse, and needs hazardous location electrical for the light

OCCUPIABLE SPACE. A room or enclosed space designed for human occupancy in which individuals congregate for amusement, educational or similar purposes or in which occupants are engaged at labor, and which is equipped with means of egress and light and ventilation facilities meeting the requirements of this code.

The part I get stuck on is 'designed for human occupancy'. Is the equipment room really designed for human occupancy? Also, the BTU ratings on the equipment may limit what can or cannot go into the space...

mtlogcabin,

From the `08 NEC, Ch. 2 - Definitions: "Equipment. A general term, including material,

fittings, devices, appliances, luminaires, apparatus, machinery and the like used as a

part, or in connection with, and electrical installation."

Following Coug Dad my office has a small refrigerator (appliance) and 2 luminares so am I in an electrical room :?: :lol:

It really is fun to enforce something that you know when you see it but there is no clear code lanquage to describe it :?

mtlog - That's why we have:

201.4 Terms not defined.

Where terms are not defined through the methods authorized by this section, such terms shall have ordinarily accepted meanings such as the context implies.

Table 1004.1.1 "Accessory storage areas, mechanical equipment room" = 300 gross floor area in sq. ft. per occupant"