• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

V-A construction question

DanB

I am reviewing plans for a college dormitory, three stories with truss framed attic. Spec 13 sprinkler system to be installed with attic sprinkling. The sprinkler area increase has been used and sprinkling would be required for the occupancy in any case. They are claiming V-A construction, I have doubts as the sprinkler can not substitute for the required one hour construction of the roof supporting structure and I do not find the provisions regarding truss protection in IBC 2009 704.5 very clear as to this situation.

DanB

Home In the Midst of the Corn

Do they have 1-hour membrane protection similar to that required for GA File No. RC 2602? The trusses do not need to be individually protected.

I don't have 2009 but in the 2006 you couldn't claim VA in your case. In the 2006, it was Table 601 Footnote e, and 506.3 Exception 3.

Do they actually have VA construction?

IIR, they can't take area increase and one hour reduction - it's either one or the other.

Sprinklers cannot be used as type of construction substitution when also being used for allowable area increase.

Multi-story 5A construction is a pain to achieve, and I agree with the others.