• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Vacant House - Right of Entry Question

Hi Corn,

If a homeowner slips out in the middle of the night to avoid being served their foreclosure notice.. what makes you think they'd register that the property is vacant? and pay $200 to do it?

Eventually, the bank will register it, but that'll be months down the road.

a little late here. administrative warrant here in Tx. probable cause requirements very lenient. getting one next week to enter a fenced in dump. I know they are common in some other states as well.

BS

The 2009 fire code states:

110.1.1 Unsafe conditions. Structures or existing equipment

that are or hereafter become unsafe or deficient

because of inadequate means of egress or which constitute a

fire hazard, or are otherwise dangerous to human life or the

public welfare, or which involve illegal or improper occupancy

or inadequate maintenance, shall be deemed an

unsafe condition. A vacant structure which is not secured

against unauthorized entry as required by Section 311 shall

be deemed unsafe.

Bringing in the Fire Marshal on these issues could help.

Greg

After the required notification by Section 107, we will access the property with the PD, prior to securing it. Make sure we aren't boarding anybody in there, and that the workers safety in ensured.

peach said:
Deeming it unsafe does not necessarily give you the right to go in.
That's true, but it will get it boarded up (maybe dependign on local laws) One should make sure there are no people or animals inside before boarding up.

beach said:
Hey Sue, Does your fire dept. have a weed abatement program? Maybe they can handle the weed portion for you?
beach -

Yes, and we work some of these together, depending on what the violation is, weed, building, etc.

Sue

I've seen a lot of delapidated houses that would be good practice for the Fire Department.

Uncle Bob

I have seen next of kin walk away because it was cheaper than trying to track down the other relatives and getting them to sign away their rights.

Some times the FD will use these buildings for practice (but they usually require a certain amount of abatement first). The jurisdiction still needs to have the title to the property (or permission from the court) to demolish the building.

Next of kin walk away because they don't want to pay the fines on the property... generally has nothing to do with rights (it was their obligation to maintain the property).

Our Village has adopted a Vacant Building Registration ordinance that requires contact information on building vacany for more than 180 days. It has had very good results. And communities from many States have asked for copies of the ordinance.

It is usualy the mortgage holder or maintenance company of the mortgage holder that registers the vacant building. The owner or former owner is rarely envolved at that time.

Uncle Bob said:
I've seen a lot of delapidated houses that would be good practice for the Fire Department.Uncle Bob
UB -

Our volunteer fire dept. loves to do practice burns. ;)

The house is now boarded up. I was out shopping the end of season sale at the local nursery this weekend and talked to the owner's son. He thinks that burning it down is a grand idea. I gave him the FM's phone number. So, now it is wait and see what happens.

Sue, where fall has arrived..............:cool:

Peach,

The registration is not perfect and yes, sometimes it takes a little work. But of the 65 or so that are under some kind of foreclosure and/or vacant, I know who to call on over 50 of them. And $10,000.00 to boot. What-do-u-got?

Around here, house flippers pick them up for a steal from the bank, and well... flip them... sometimes they get stung. Had another one today.