• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

vague question from builder.....

rth

Bronze Member
How much renovation of an existing residential structure will force the owner to bring the entire structure to meet code?

I know this is vague. Our city community developement and fire department are still using 2006 IBC/IFC code.

Thank you.

Depends...

For some properties, it's 50%.

In a flood plain, FEMA uses a 50% of the homes value as the indicator. House worth $200k, $100k worth of work requires entire building to be flood-proofed

In the Existing Building Code, it's based on % of area affected by work. Also a challenging subject.

The more info you can provide here the better. What type of building, type of use, construction type, scope of work...etc.

And welcome to the forum!

If you have adopted the IEBC, see section 302 Additions, alterations or repairs.

pc1

Thanks guys. I know it's a vague question, I'll try to get more info.

This is and awesome forum.

Richard Hanks

Let no vageriey go unanswered - respond by printed word. "R101.2 Scope. The provisions of this code shall apply to the construction, alteration, enlargement, replacement, repair,

equipment, use and occupancy and location of detached oneand two-family dwellings... ALTERATION IS "ALTERATION. Any construction or renovation to an existing

structure other than repair or addition that requires a permit. .....

So that which you Alter Expand, Add must comply .. To me that means 10% touch that must comply , 40% touch that must comply, 80% touch that must comply.

ther is no (Unless in your establishment clause other the Floodway construction (50 substantial must meet flood design standard) but even that does not say that the building must now comply with the "Newest latest and greatest cod it must be elevated and structured to resist the flood conditions. Old Furnace properly elevated; old windows properly elevated thats what the code says.