• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Valve access

pmarx

Bronze Member
Good morning all. I'm not sure if this question belongs under plumbing or mechanical codes but I'll start here. To make a short story long, I'm involved in a project where we need to compartmentalize various spaces throughout an existing building to give the client more flexibility for hazardous storage.I will have to deal with dozens of penetrations to the new fire barriers by existing pipes, conduits, etc. but at this particular location I need to avoid a valve at a pipe labeled “low pressure steam”. Am I missing anything in the code that gives specific clearances around a valve such as this (please see the attached photo)? I’ve included a portion of the plan excluding all other for clarity. As you can see, I’m trying to “jog” the wall around the valve. At this location, there’s about 27” in front of the existing utility sink. I believe the minimum is 21” (2009 NSPC).Thanks for your input.

View attachment 1430

View attachment 1431

View attachment 1430

S7 1st fl interstitial Model (1).pdf

View attachment 1431