• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Van accessible parking at R-2 Group parking decks

tom

I would appreciate your expert opinion/advice concerning req's seen at 2006 IBC 1106.5. When and what is height requirement for van accessible spaces under R-2 groups. 98" per ICC/ANSI? How many regular spaces are needed before I require a van accessible space? I am getting differing opinions from others. I have the commentary but still some confusion. As always, many thanks

IBC 1106.5 Van Spaces – For every six or fraction of six accessible spaces, at least one shall be a van accessible space.

1106.2 Groups R-2 and R-3. Two percent, but not less than one, of each type of parking space provided for occupancies in Groups R-2 and R-3, which are required to have Accessible, Type A or Type B dwelling or sleeping units, shall be accessible.

Where parking is provided within or beneath a building, accessible parking spaces shall also be provided within or beneath the building.

Last edited by a moderator:
98" per ICC/ANSI? 98" under ADAAg too

How many regular spaces are needed before I require a van accessible space? Short answer NONE the very 1st space needs to be van accessible