• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

vapor retarder requirments in Calif

joe-architect

Just found my way over here from the wreckage on the ICC site. What a mess!

Just want to make sure I'm reading the CA code correctly. Vapor retarders are a requirement only in CA climate zones 14 and 16?

Re: vapor retarder requirments in Calif

Welcome to the forum joe-a, yes the ICC forums are non-existent. You are home now. I can't answer to the CA code, just wanted to say howdy, and welcome you in. I'm sure you will get your answer soon from one of our esteemed colleages from the left-hand state. :cool:

joe-architect said:
Just found my way over here from the wreckage on the ICC site. What a mess!Just want to make sure I'm reading the CA code correctly. Vapor retarders are a requirement only in CA climate zones 14 and 16?
Joe -

First, welcome aboard! Second, zones 14 & 16 only for vapor retardants. These are the only two cold climate zones in CA, the other climate zones are in warmer territory. :cool:

Sue, living la vida loca in th CA high desert, zone 16

Joe, Just wanted to say welcome home! Please tell others that we are here. Sorry, don't know anything about the CBC. Enjoy. jp

Thanks for the welcomes. I've followed the ICC board for years (old username jiano) and was amazed to see what's happened to it. Score 1 for IT bureaucracy over common sense.

Anyway, glad to hear I was reading the CA code correctly. And yes, I was referring to the warm-side vapor retarder, not the exterior side weather barrier!

Happy holidays everyone.