• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

vent question???

cda

Sawhorse 123
Sorry meant to post under commerical mech!!!! can the movers and shakers, move this to correct place!!!Not a mechanical person, but saw this.the vent starts at a boiler goes by the water heater then up through the roof.Besides the water heater falling apart, Is the water heater vent set up leagal??? as in being stuck in the vent pipe??

View attachment 1322

View attachment 1322

/monthly_2010_07/DSC_9241.JPG.e1630a642840c6f79b898c08c27999c8.JPG

Re: vent question???

beside it being vented into the same room, rather than to the outside?

Yeah, I'd say there's a problem.

""beside it being vented into the same room"""

once again not being a mechanical person what do you mean vented into the same room????????????

"Not a mechanical person, but saw this.

the vent starts at a boiler goes by the water heater then up through the roof.

Besides the water heater falling apart,

Is the water heater vent set up leagal??? as in being stuck in the vent pipe??"

cda -

Simple answer - Not even close!

At the very least the draft hood and the boiler vent need to be routed through connectors and a manifold vent connector and then into the main vent to the ouside. CMC Chapter 8.

Sue, CMC, CBC, IBC

I agree with Alias. Need a vent connector to hook it to the common vent. Also, its hard to tell from the picture, but the common vent might be to large, no more than 7 time area of appliance flue outlet, and it looks like the draft hood is actually pushing up on the vent pipe, flattening it and creating upward slope problems. Nothing good can come from that. :shock:

look's a little suspect to me!

does it work?

mud dobber problem, better call in the don't bug me people!

Since they're going to need a new hot water heater anyway... Recommend they get a low profile HWH, relocate to a better position and vent both appliances properly.