• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Vent termination for 90%

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Ducane 90% with combustion air taken from inside (lazy, lazy, lazy).

Does the manufacturer allow this installation?

IMG_9533.jpg

Here's the technical stuff on the Ducane 90% Gas Furnace Model.

http://www.ducanehvac.com/gas_9092.php

jar546,

I will assume that this 2" pvc pipe is the vent pipe for the appliance, and that

the heating appliance is installed in some type of "below grade" application

[ i.e. - possibly a basement ]. To answer your question, for the vent, the

manufacturer states:

"3. For proper and safe operation, the furnace needs air for combustion and ventilation.

Do not block or obstruct air openings on the furnace, air openings to the area in

which the furnace is installed, and the spacings around the furnace."

and

"7-B. Vent connector is in place, slopes upward, and is physically sound without holes

or excessive corrosion."

Is all of the combustion air, for this appliance, taken from indoors?

The manufacturer' installation instructions do not go in to a lot of detail. While the vent piping in

your pic. seems to comply with installation instructions, it's probably not the best location. Too

much potential for having / getting the pipe "stopped up" with something.

Last edited by a moderator:
The major issue I see, is the location of the vent immediately below an operable window, the gas regulator should have the vent piped away from the window as well.

If its single piped, the vent needs to be 4' below or to the side of the window per IMC, 1' if two piped. It doesn't look like this passes in either case.

I found the information from Ducane and it is required to be 4' from the window and 4' from the gas meter.

Thanks. Code refers to manufacturer.

Near a corner is also a bad place, especially if the intake isn't close to the vent. When it gets breezy eddy currents can cause backdrafts that trip safeties and shut the furnace off.