• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Venting plumbing with an air admittance valve

jar546

Forum Coordinator
To all of you guys still passing inspections with these:

View attachment 1996

Please, please, please stop allowing these and maybe Lowes and Home Depot will stop selling them. Besides, you're causing problem for the rest of us that enforce the code.Instead, please tell them they need an air admittance valve similar to this:View attachment 1997

Thank you,A concerned citizen and inspectorView attachment 1996

View attachment 1997

/monthly_2013_10/MechPlumbVent.jpg.0349f52afd5f8c52e80f2bd208651d1a.jpg

/monthly_2013_10/Studor-Mini-Vent-rw-6103-360.jpg.ba43c09163368a405fdd50f581a704b1.jpg

The last time I checked, we aren't allowing any air admittance valves. What's the issue with the top valve and why do you like the bottom valve? Our issue is that the valves are a mechanical device that can fail.

Just be aware that those mechanically operated spring loaded vents are still needed / required for manufactured homes. MHCSS Sec. 3280.11 (d) Anti-siphon trap vent…..

ICE said:
The last time I checked, we aren't allowing any air admittance valves. What's the issue with the top valve and why do you like the bottom valve? Our issue is that the valves are a mechanical device that can fail.
I did not know that California's plumbing code was so strict and not consistent with the IRC and IPC. Thanks for the information.

pete_t said:
Just be aware that those mechanically operated spring loaded vents are still needed / required for manufactured homes. MHCSS Sec. 3280.11 (d) Anti-siphon trap vent…..
yes, and hopefully they(those that write and adopt that standard) will get with the changing times too.

Do you think home depot and lowes would stop selling s traps too? I always fail the black ones even though I am not prejudice. They are not listed or approved for anything.

We locally amended AAR's out in new construction. With AHJ approval, AAV's can be used in remodels, basement finishes etc., however, if it can be conventionaly vented easily, the the AAV is out of the picture.

Minnesota does not allow air admittance valves either. We have our own code, but apparently will switch over to the UPC in 2014. We will see if the AAV's are allowed then.

Joe

Keeney Mfg. Co. Plastic Mechanical Plumbing Air Admittance Vent

Plastic Mechanical Plumbing Air Admittance Vent

• Mechanical plumbing vent

• 1-1/2" OD connection

• Black

• For plumbing systems with no vent stack

But there so much cheaper..................

Allowed in Virginia as long as they are accessible and 6" above flood level rim and the correct listed and labeled variety.

We are under the UPC and they are not approved by IAPMO I guess nobody would pay the fee. I do allow them under special circumstances using the alternate materials portion. Usually when getting a vent up through 2 floors and a roof of a 100 year old home is about impossible without some major demolition which opens up a wall full of vermiculite.

Our plumbing inspector has allowed AAV's for a long time, even in new construction when the typical means of venting is difficult. They must be accessible for maintenance and replacement. We have never had a complaint from plumbing contractors or homeowners about their performance. I am also not aware of anyone becoming ill or dying because of an AAV so I am comfortable with their ability to provide for the health, safety and welfare of the occupants.

The IRC and IPC allows them and that is what rules Pennsylvania goes by. My point in this was the fact that we still see those spring loaded, black mechanical vents after 9-1/2 years of AAV's taking the place of those crappy vents. In some areas of the country it appears as though not only do they not allow AAVs but NO types of mechanical venting at all. I have an AAV in my house under my kitchen sink on the peninsula.

FWIW, Illinois Plumbing Code also prohibits connection of the dishwasher discharge to the disposal.

But don't worry, I'm not permitted to inspect plumbing work, because I'm not a State licensed plumber.

Last I saw Oatey had special instructions in the fine print for their AAV's used with dishwashers (or pumping discharge) that were impossible to get......

jar546 said:
Here is a picture of under my kitchen two-bowl sink. You will need a UV light to see the un-purple primer. The AAV is doing its job.View attachment 2125

Last edited by a moderator: