• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Vertical Exit Enclosures: Remote Location

Papio Bldg Dept

Platinum Member
I am reviewing a project where the designer would like to place an unenclosed stairway around an elevator core. The project is two stories, type II-B, and an 'E' occupancy.

I have been reading through the code to determine when and where an unenclosed stairway is permitted. Section 1020.1 of the 2006 IBC seems to cover this issue, however I am unable to clarify the code language for what "remotely located" means (exception 8 & 9). I am assuming that this phrase is referring to the "distance apart" requirements for exits as defined by Section 1015.2 (as referenced to by the exceptions listed above), and not rather in some far-off out reach of the school. Is this an accurate assumption?

1020.1, Exception 8: not group H or I occupancy, max 50%, serving one adjacent floor, fully sprinklered, min. 2 means of egress, remotely located, and not open to other floors.

1020.1, Exception 9: not group H or I occupancy, serving only first and second floors, fully sprinklered, min. 2 means of egress, remotely located, and not open to other floors.

Welcome to the board. I am not sure exactly what your question is but open stairs are typically allowed for two story buildings and need to be separated by 1/2 the diagonal if not sprinklered and 1/3rd if sprinklered. If you are in Nebraska as your handle infers, be aware that NFPA 101 also applies and the Life Safety Code does not allow open stairs as a part of the means of egress. NFPA 101 allows open stairs as a convenience opening that is not a part of the exiting.

101/09

Where more than one exit, exit access, or exit discharge is required from a building or portion thereof, such exits, exit accesses, or exit discharges shall be remotely located from each other and be arranged to minimize the possibility that more than one has the potential to be blocked by any one fire or other emergency condition.

All inside stairs serving as an exit or exit component shall be enclosed in accordance with 7.1.3.2.

Remote means remote as the code assumes egress must be. Its from Section 1015.2 on the IBC:

1015.2.1 Two exits or exit access doorways. Where two exits or exit access doorways are required from any portion of the exit access, the exit doors or exit access doorways shall be placed a distance apart equal to not less than one-half of the length of the maximum overall diagonal dimension of the building or area to be served measured in a straight line between exit doors or exit access doorways. Interlocking or scissor stairs shall be counted as one exit stairway.

Exceptions:

1. Where exit enclosures are provided as a portion of the required exit and are interconnected by a 1-hour fire-resistance-rated corridor conforming to the requirements of Section 1017, the required exit separation shall be measured along the shortest direct line of travel within the corridor.

2. Where a building is equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2, the separation distance of the exit doors or exit access doorways shall not be less than one-third of the length of the maximum overall diagonal dimension of the area served.

I'm posting the quote from the 2006 IBC, not knowing which edition you have adopted. Its the same in other editions; just with different numbering.

The alternative is that the stair simply isn't a part of the means of egress. If there are other stairs that are the exits, the stairs in the area by the elevator could simply be a communicating/monumental stair. For that you need to check out Section 707.2, Exception 2.1 and exceptions 5 and 7.

Thank you for all of your comments. They were very helpful.

Thanks, Coug. This is a great place to gain perspective on the code and intent.

Mr. Burns, you were a formidable and impressionable part of my youth. Fortunately I was able to learn from your purposeful mistakes. Thank you.

Gene, I like the phrase you used, "Remote means remote as the code assumes egress must be." The exceptions in 707 are also good reminders for the designers to consider. Thank you.