• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Vertical Exit Enclosures

Status
Not open for further replies.

damstein

Hello all,

I stumbled onto this forum while I was doing some code research for a project and thought maybe I could get some second opinions on a code issue I am running into? I'll try to keep it brief, but would greatly appreciate any additional thoughts you all might have!

Here is my dilema....

I have a two-story walk up apartment building with 12 units (R-2, Construction Type 5A per the 2009 IBC, that is fully sprinklered with an NFPA 13R system). Each half of the building is separated by a 2hr. fire barrier and has a single open stair that serves 3 units on the 2nd floor. The open stair and associated 1st and 2nd floor "hallways" are to be considered the fire-rated "vertical exit enclosure".

Now the issue...

Based on a recent plan review, we are being told that our electrical service room and mechanical rooms which are located directly off of the fire rated exit enclosure (read "end of hallway") at each floor, cannot be accessed directly from the "enclosed vertical exit enclosure" and that an alternate access to these areas needs to be provided. See refereneced code section from the 2009 IBC below.

SECTION 1020 VERTICAL EXIT ENCLOSURES

1020.1 Enclosures required.

Interior exit stairways and interior exit ramps shall be enclosed with fire barriers constructed in accordance with Section 706 or horizontal assemblies constructed in accordance with Section 711, or both. Exit enclosures shall have a fire-resistance rating of not less than 2 hours where connecting four stories or more and not less than 1 hour where connecting less than four stories. The number of stories connected by the exit enclosure shall include any basements but not any mezzanines. An exit enclosure shall not be used for any purpose other than means of egress.

It is our contention that since these spaces are separated from the "exit enclosure" with a fire barrier that extends to underside of roof sheathing, that they should not be considered part of the exit enclosure, and therefore do not require a separate means of access.

Wondering if anyone had any thoughts on this or how I might better explain this to the code official?

Thanks for your comments in advance.

I wanted this to be in the Code Section - Sorry.

Signed,

Old-timer who doesn't know how these new fangled furums work!

Status
Not open for further replies.