• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Vertical Grab Bars

Julia_Baranick

Hi everyone! I just registered on this awesome forum and hoping to learn from all of you. Here is my first question:

What kind, if any, feedback are people getting on the requirement of vertical grab bars? My understanding was that the requirement for these (at least per the ADA) went away with the newest code version however I've gotten feedback from GCs several times in recent projects stating otherwise. Has anyone else been experiencing this? Looking into this further I'm thinking it may be a difference between ADA and ICC. While similar, they are different and building codes usually reference the ICC which appears to still require a vertical grab bar.

Accessibility is not my best subject, but I think the vertical grab bar by the water closet is originally from the ANSI standard, which I believe the ICC version is based on.

We only enforce ADA here, and amend ICC version out of the code.

Julia, you are fairly correct in your speculation. Most states (exceptions being CA, KS, and a couple others), follow the ICC A117.1 Standard, which requires the vertical grab bars. Some states have decided to follow the federal (DOJ administered) ADA.

In looking at CO, it appears that the Office of the State Architect, via Approved State Building Codes Exh-A-Bldg Codes, follows the current edition of ICC A117.1, Accessible and Usable Buildings and Facilities as referenced in the adopted edition of the International Building Code.

So vertical grab bars should be installed in your projects.

Last edited:
The IBC references ANSI A117.1. At one time the technical sections were identical to the 2010 ADA Standards for Accessible Design. A couple code cycles ago ANSI added the vertical grab bars and increased the turning circle diameter. Check which version of ANSI your state uses.

The IBC references ANSI A117.1
FYI... The standard is no longer an ANSI publication. I believe the last publication by ANSI was 2003. Proper name is ICC A117.1-year.

OIP.LxqtS1f2wnNBK2YkEtIC1AHaJ4

ANSI never published or created any standards, it only sets some requirements for documents and the SDOs (Standards Developer Organizations) who publish them. Before 2003 I think SDO might have been CABO, maybe 1987 through 1998?

Other than NFPA (all their codes and standards are ANSI documents) the model codes seem to resist the balance of interests required by ANSI. Maybe ICC A217.1-2003 was first?

I typically use 2009 ANSI A117.1 as a safe harbor for common areas covered by Fair Housing, which means I include the vertical grab bar in multifamily common areas.

ANSI never published or created any standards, it only sets some requirements for documents and the SDOs (Standards Developer Organizations) who publish them. Before 2003 I think SDO might have been CABO, maybe 1987 through 1998?

Other than NFPA (all their codes and standards are ANSI documents) the model codes seem to resist the balance of interests required by ANSI. Maybe ICC A217.1-2003 was first?
They did collaborate on them. In the 2003, 2006, and 2009 IBC, Ch. 35 the A117.1-2003 standard is listed as ICC/ANSI. See the photo from my previous post.
OIP.LxqtS1f2wnNBK2YkEtIC1AHaJ4

However, since 2012, once the 2009 standard was adopted, the IBC Ch. 35 reference is to ICC A117.1-2009. Both the 2009 and 2017 versions of the A117.1 Standard do not include ANSI. Any reference to ICC/ANSI A117.1 should be in reference to the 2003 standard as referenced in the pre-2012 IBC.

Basically, if you call it ANSI A117.1, you're just showing your experience/age. That said, as code officials who are critiquing plans, it does us well to be accurate and not using old language.

It is an American National Standard. Content is provided by ICC. It is as you point out referenced as ICC A117.1. ANSI never provided any content. As always, ANSI reviews, mostly for adherence to the ANSI essential requirements which are largely procedure, and have final approval.

Last edited: