1. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

vertical reinforcement for residential masonry walls (GEORGIA)

Discussion in 'Residential Foundation Codes' started by ScottinGA, Dec 14, 2011.

1. ScottinGA

ScottinGA Member

hey guys im new to the forum, but have been reading tons of posts since joining last week. I've got a question some of you may can answer. Where can i find the maximum wall height of an 8" masonry crawlspace wall before it needs vertical reinforcement? (little or no unbalanced backfill) It seems like i read somewhere a requirement for vertical reinforcement. i must be dreaming. any help would be appreciated.

thx

scott

2. mtlogcabin

mtlogcabin Sawhorse

2009 IRC

TABLE R404.1.1(1)

PLAIN MASONRY FOUNDATION WALLS

It would be based on soils, size of masonry, is it solid grouted?

Not possible in my seismic zone "D 2"

Welcome to the board

#2 mtlogcabin, Dec 14, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2011
  3. steveray

steveray Sawhorse

What MT said....there are some tables in chapter 4......we have alot of unreinforced concrete foundations here.....my understanding is that will all be going away with the adoption of the 2009 IRC......

4. gbhammer

gbhammer Platinum Member

Why do you need a 'crawl space' that high?

5. gbhammer

gbhammer Platinum Member

:)Welcome to the board

6. ScottinGA

ScottinGA Member

thanks for comments guys, it is 8" masonry ungrouted, seismic C, +2000lb soil typ around here. The wall height is 56" at its tallest. I was thinking somewhere there was a reference to 5xthe minimum width, but they may have been referencing something else. i hate when i cant find what im looking for. thx agin

7. iggentleman

iggentleman Bronze Member

Table 404.1.1(5) in IRC 2006 and table 404.1.2(8) in the 2009 are pretty much the same. A lot of situations still won't require reinforcing.

8. JBI

JBI Sawhorse

Welcome to the Board ScottinGA. 2,000 pound soil refers to bearing capacity, what you need is the classification from 405 (the unified soil classification designation). That said, most of the classifications in the 2,000 pound range are in the lower section of class 1 soils and a couple that are class 2. ALL have low expansion potential, that's the good news. Low expansion potential means it won't push too hard on the walls when it rains (good to medium drainage characteristics). Probably going to land in the first or second set of wall conditions in Table R404.1.1(1) (table 5 would be for concrete, not masonry...). The three factors that are needed are total wall height, unbalanced backfill height and soil classification. For example, SW and SP soils would allow an 8" plain masonry wall as tall as 9' provided backfill height is limited to 5' or less. The SM-SC, GM and GC soils would only allow 8" plain masonry at 9' tall to have a maximum of 4' of unbalanced backfill. Conversely, a 6' wall with those soils would allow 6' and 5' unbalanced backfill respectively.

9. ScottinGA

ScottinGA Member

i appreciate the help

thx

scott

10. Daddy-0-

Daddy-0- Moderator

Welcome to the arena Scott

11. David Henderson

David Henderson Sawhorse