• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

vintage refurbished 1910 range

BSSTG

Gold Member
Greetings all,

I've run into a challenge. So this fellow has purchased this 1910 model gas/wood range and wants to use it. The 1st challenge is on convincing him they need a vent hood or diffuser type hood over it with grease filters and so forth. The 2nd challenge is what to do with the old cast iron fitting coming out of the coal box on the back end of this thing. Now they won't use coal in it, but I'm concerned that substantial amount of heat will exit the vent if the oven is used in gas fired mode thereby creating a hazard with discharging heat adjacent to the wall in the rear of the unit.

1 Should I make them put in a hood even though it will look like crap in this antiquish old house? I say yes.

2 Should that vent be vented to the outside that connects to the coal box on the side of the oven even though it will not be used? I say yes on this one too even though I hate to. Too much liability.

I guess I've answered my own questions.

Byron

Don't even think about setting it up against a combustible wall. Go to the clearance table and see what the sebacks are for a stove that is not listed, then proceed accordingly. Exhaust/hood is also necessary, but I doubt if it needs an industrial sized hood.

I seem to recall something about exhaust hoods only being required when there is a griddle or some such. Will try to find it tomorrow.

So, I am not convinced an exhaust hood is required.

However, I am definitely on board with the required clearances. You may also want to look into whether it must be installed on a non-combustible floor. Let us know how you make out; I can see this happening in my jurisdiction.

I think you are going out on a limb making any recommendation to install a cooking appliance that is not listed.

2009 IMC: 917.3 Domestic appliances. Cooking appliances installed within dwelling units and within areas where domestic cooking operations occur shall be listed and labeled as household-type appliances for domestic use.

While the IRC has a similar requirement, if this were my problem I would be looking to find a way to accept it.

As a builder/owner, I was putting a 1910 antique gas unit in my personal house several years ago. These things are rebuilt by a few speciality companies and routinely used but I felt I would be putting the BO in a difficult position to ask him to approve it (my BO was strictly by the book). I opted to put a 30" cheap off-the-shelf range in the 48" space and very honestly told him we were going to replace it with a larger residential unit at a later date. Unless your jurisdiction requires you to permit and inspect a single appliance installation, that takes the BO out of the middle.

Last I looked (and I'm not opening a code book today).. as long as provisions are made for permanent cooking facilities, the appliance doesn't need to be in place.