• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Vinyl Guard around deck

kyhowey

Silver Member
Looking over deck plans/specs with homeowner before pulling a permit. He wanted to put these guards from Home Depot around the deck. Click the link and then click on specifications....look at the structural/ornamental category.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Veranda-6-ft-x-36-in-Traditional-Pre-Built-Rail-without-Brackets-73003985/202084782?N=5yc1vZc5i7

This rail is ornamental only! Home Depot has another rail by the same manufacturer that costs $15 more per section and is labelled structural. I've been on the manufacturers website, barretteoutdoorliving.com, and it only contains install instructions. For code reports, you have to call the 800 number. I did and am awaiting their email.

But Doug from Oklahoma says it is strong........WOW....Certainly looks like an attempt to dodge lawsuits.....I do my 200# test on all of them, only pushed one out of socket so far....

Did I mention that there is a guy in town that has a business which is just paying college kids to write positive online reviews for crap products like this....

OK. I have the testing reports. It seems you have to use the aluminum insert to meet loading requirements. Funny that Home Depot doesn't seem to have that option for you to buy.