• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Vinyl Handrail System

Mac

Gold Member
We have been seeing them for a few years now and people seem to like them. I like them better than the old "flat board" pretending to be a handrail.

Today I measured some handrail dimensions and learned a couple of things...

ResCode of NYS R311.5.6.3 - "The finger recess shall begin within a distance of 3/4 inch from the tallest portion..." -- measured distance is one and one eighth inch

The maximum width shall be two and three quarters inches. -- measured width is three inches.

So I went to the local supplier and measured the samples on display and found the same dimensions. The catalog for one supplier refers to ICC AC-174 testing criteria next to a large "Code Approved".

I am unable to find an ICC approval or ES report - but can't imagine that two and three quarters is now three. Any help?

Assuming this is the T-rail or top of a guardrail intended to serve as a handrail but the dimension is not compliant. Some manufacturers sell separate vinyl handrail systems that meet code.

Big box stores also sell pre-cut wood deck top rail as handrails having the same issues.

Francis