• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Vinyl Window Bucks

Kanzas

Does the IBC address the use of vinyl window bucks? I can't seem to find a relevant section. Specific interest in R-2 occupancy, multi-story, presumably Type I or II construction, insulated concrete form construction. Thanks.

IBC 2006, Article 1406.2.2 does not allow combustible trim or veneers above 40 feet. Don't know if windows are considered in this group.

= = =

From the `06 IBC, Section 1406.2.2 - Architectural trim:

"In buildings of Type I, II, III and IV construction that do not

exceed three stories or 40 feet (12 192 mm) in height above

grade plane, exterior wall coverings shall be permitted to be

constructed of wood where permitted by :Next('./icod_ibc_2006f2_14_par029.htm')'>Section 1405.4 or

other equivalent combustible material.........Combustible exterior

wall coverings, other than fire-retardant-treated wood complying

with :Next('./icod_ibc_2006f2_23_par024.htm')'>Section 2303.2 for exterior installation, shall not exceed

10 percent of an exterior wall surface area where the fire

separation distance is 5 feet (1524 mm) or less......Architectural

trim that exceeds 40 feet (12 192 mm) in height above grade

plane shall be constructed of approved noncombustible materials

and shall be secured to the wall with metal or other approved

noncombustible brackets."

Also, see this ES Report 1911 [ from one ICF manufacturer ]:

http://www.icc-es.org/reports/pdf_files/ICC-ES/ESR-1911.pdf ,

Start in Sections 4.1 & 4.4.

Also, see Section 603.1, # 10 & # 11, in the `06 IBC.....It appears

that if the openings in to which the bucks are properly reinforced,

...and the bucks themselves are "properly" braced [ when installed ]

and "properly" fastened / attached to the openings, ...they would

be allowed, ...if less than 40 ft. above grade

Maybe some other RDP's will chime in with their experience!

$ $ $

# #

Also, ...as a strong recommendation, please consult with the AHJ BEFORE

ordering or installing anything.

& &

Part of the wall assembly? should be allowed. Remember the ICF is required to have a thermal barrier protection from the inside and the outside has to meet NFPA 268 or one of the exception for protection

2603.5 Exterior walls of buildings of any height.

Exterior walls of buildings of Type I, II, III or IV construction of any height shall comply with Sections 2603.5.1 through 2603.5.7. Exterior walls of cold storage buildings required to be constructed of noncombustible materials, where the building is more than one story in height, shall also comply with the provisions of Sections 2603.5.1 through 2603.5.7. Exterior walls of buildings of Type V construction shall comply with Sections 2603.2, 2603.3 and 2603.4.

mtlogcabine - Yes, the product I'm talking about is Vbuck or similar vinyl buck. Vbuck and a couple of ICF block users have told me they've never had the code issue raised, but no one could give me a good reason why either way.

northstar - thanks for the link to ES Report 1911. The ICF manufacturer, BuildBlock, said their postion was that a vinyl buck could be considered a subassembly of a vinyl window, and code doesn't say you can't use vinyl windows.

all - Yes, understood that discussing with AHJ is crucial.

Thanks