• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Violation or no? CSST

Violation, Falls under the "Need as much seperation as resonably from electrical system".

AHJ call, IMHO, I'd say it needs more clearance.

My answer is backed up by the 2010 Gastite CSST install instructions, Page 55. It also states if the product is "Flash Sheild CSST", no clearance would be required.

pc1

E4003.2 Luminaires near combustible material.

Luminaires shall be installed so that combustible material will not be subjected to temperatures in excess of 90°C (194°F).

This temperature is considerably lower than the ignition of propane and natural gas.

The CSST sheathing or coating is combustible; however not a violation or hazard as far as the installation of CSST; stainless steel has melting point of 2,000 F.

Francis

410.11 Luminaires shall constructed, installed, or equipped with shades or guards so that combustible material is not subjet to temperatures in excess of 90 degree C (194F).

410.16 Incandescent luminaires with open or partially enclosed lamps and pendant luminares or lampholders shall not be permitted.

Not sure about the CSST can't find my install book.

David Henderson said:
410.16 Incandescent luminaires with open or partially enclosed lamps and pendant luminares or lampholders shall not be permitted.Not sure about the CSST can't find my install book.
410.16 is for clothes closets. I don't think this is in a clothes closet.

incandescent bulbs burn hotter than 90 degrees.

I wouldn't allow it, but if that's the best clearance they can get, I don't think you'll find another code reference.