• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Virginia Construction Code - Intervening spaces

Nicole Brooks

Virginia allows one exit to pass through kitchens store rooms, closets, or spaces used for similar purposes as one of the two required means of egress. Would a warehouse fall under the category of "store room". I looked up the definition of "store room" and it said "a room in which items are stored". This just seems like a bad idea to me. What does everyone else think?

Section 1016

Egress shall not pass through kitchens, storage rooms, closets or spaces used for similar purposes.

Exceptions:
  1. 1.Means of egress are not prohibited through a kitchen area serving adjoining rooms constituting part of the same dwelling unit or sleeping unit.
  2. 2.Means of egress are not prohibited through stockrooms in Group M occupancies where all of the following are met:
    1. 2.1.The stock is of the same hazard classification as that found in the main retail area.
    2. 2.2.Not more than 50 percent of the exit access is through the stockroom.
    3. 2.3.The stockroom is not subject to locking from the egress side.
    4. 2.4.There is a demarcated, minimum 44-inch-wide (1118 mm) aisle defined by full- or partial-height fixed walls or similar construction that will maintain the required width and lead directly from the retail area to the exit without obstructions.
  3. A maximum of one exit access is permitted to pass through kitchens, store rooms, closets or spaces used for similar purposes provided such a space is not the only means of exit access.

Is this warehouse associated with a mercantile space? If not mercantile, what is the other use?

If no associated use and the whole building is a warehouse, then this would be non-applicable.

Is it associated and do you have this in 1016.2?

Egress from a room or space shall not pass through adjoining or intervening rooms or areas, except where such adjoining rooms or areas and the area served are accessory to one or the other, are not a Group H occupancy and provide a discernible path of egress travel to an exit.
Exception: Means of egress are not prohibited through adjoining or intervening rooms or spaces in a Group H, S or F occupancy where the adjoining or intervening rooms or spaces are the same or a lesser hazard occupancy group.

Is this warehouse associated with a mercantile space? If not mercantile, what is the other use?

If no associated use and the whole building is a warehouse, then this would be non-applicable.
The front portion of the space is office. It is the headquarters of a supplement company - office in the front, warehouse in the back with product storage and shipping and receiving area.

Egress from a room or space shall not pass through adjoining or intervening rooms or areas, except where such adjoining rooms or areas and the area served are accessory to one or the other, are not a Group H occupancy and provide a discernible path of egress travel to an exit.
Exception: Means of egress are not prohibited through adjoining or intervening rooms or spaces in a Group H, S or F occupancy where the adjoining or intervening rooms or spaces are the same or a lesser hazard occupancy group.
The OP (@Nicole Brooks) quoted only a portion of 1016.2 and attributed it to 1016.

Here is the full 1016.2 from the Virgina (2021) Building Code.

1016.2 Egress Through Intervening Spaces

Egress through intervening spaces shall comply with this section.
  1. Exit access through an enclosed elevator lobby is permitted. Where access to two or more exits or exit access doorways is required in Section 1006.2.1, access to not less than one of the required exits shall be provided without travel through the enclosed elevator lobbies required by Section 3006. Where the path of exit access travel passes through an enclosed elevator lobby, the level of protection required for the enclosed elevator lobby is not required to be extended to the exit unless direct access to an exit is required by other sections of this code.
  2. Egress from a room or space shall not pass through adjoining or intervening rooms or areas, except where such adjoining rooms or areas and the area served are accessory to one or the other, are not a Group H occupancy and provide a discernible path of egress travel to an exit.
  3. An exit access shall not pass through a room that can be locked to prevent egress.
  4. Means of egress from dwelling units or sleeping areas shall not lead through other sleeping areas, toilet rooms or bathrooms.
  5. Egress shall not pass through kitchens, storage rooms, closets or spaces used for similar purposes.
    Exceptions:
    1. Means of egress are not prohibited through a kitchen area serving adjoining rooms constituting part of the same dwelling unit or sleeping unit.
    2. Means of egress are not prohibited through stockrooms in Group M occupancies where all of the following are met:
      1. The stock is of the same hazard classification as that found in the main retail area.
      2. Not more than 50 percent of the exit access is through the stockroom.
      3. The stockroom is not subject to locking from the egress side.
      4. There is a demarcated, minimum 44-inch-wide (1118 mm) aisle defined by full- or partial-height fixed walls or similar construction that will maintain the required width and lead directly from the retail area to the exit without obstructions.
    3. A maximum of one exit access is permitted to pass through kitchens, store rooms, closets or spaces used for similar purposes provided such a space is not the only means of exit access.

The front portion of the space is office. It is the headquarters of a supplement company - office in the front, warehouse in the back with product storage and shipping and receiving area.
A floor plan would help a lot here...

Does the Group B area actually require a second exit?

This is part of the code, but the space is mixed-use and neither areas are small enough in area to be considered accessory. The VA code allows for an additional exception, which is what I noted. I copied the whole section in for reference.

1016.2 Egress through intervening spaces.​

Egress through intervening spaces shall comply with this section.

1. 1.Exit access through an enclosed elevator lobby is permitted. Where access to two or more exits or exit access doorways is required in Section 1006.2.1, access to not less than one of the required exits shall be provided without travel through the enclosed elevator lobbies required by Section 3006. Where the path of exit access travel passes through an enclosed elevator lobby, the level of protection required for the enclosed elevator lobby is not required to be extended to the exit unless direct access to an exit is required by other sections of this code.
  2. 2.Egress from a room or space shall not pass through adjoining or intervening rooms or areas, except where such adjoining rooms or areas and the area served are accessory to one or the other, are not a Group H occupancy and provide a discernible path of egress travel to an exit.
  3. 3.An exit access shall not pass through a room that can be locked to prevent egress.
  4. 4.Means of egress from dwelling units or sleeping areas shall not lead through other sleeping areas, toilet rooms or bathrooms.
  5. 5.Egress shall not pass through kitchens, storage rooms, closets or spaces used for similar purposes.
    Exceptions:
    1. 1.Means of egress are not prohibited through a kitchen area serving adjoining rooms constituting part of the same dwelling unit or sleeping unit.
    2. 2.Means of egress are not prohibited through stockrooms in Group M occupancies where all of the following are met:
      1. 2.1.The stock is of the same hazard classification as that found in the main retail area.
      2. 2.2.Not more than 50 percent of the exit access is through the stockroom.
      3. 2.3.The stockroom is not subject to locking from the egress side.
      4. 2.4.There is a demarcated, minimum 44-inch-wide (1118 mm) aisle defined by full- or partial-height fixed walls or similar construction that will maintain the required width and lead directly from the retail area to the exit without obstructions.
    3. 3.A maximum of one exit access is permitted to pass through kitchens, store rooms, closets or spaces used for similar purposes provided such a space is not the only means of exit access

This is part of the code, but the space is mixed-use and neither areas are small enough in area to be considered accessory.
Does not have to be an accessory use, the concept is that it is the same employees and they are familiar with the space.....THAT kind of accessory...Ex. 2 likely works for you....

It does, the occupant load of the business area is over 50.
View attachment 12770
What is the floor area of the Group B area? Do you have OL calculations/plan?

Just looking at the plan, I would be really surprised if the business area exceeds 50 occupants. If you can meet the egress requirement for the Group B area with a single exit, then I do not see an issue.

What is the floor area of the Group B area? Do you have OL calculations/plan?

Just looking at the plan, I would be really surprised if the business area exceeds 50 occupants. If you can meet the egress requirement for the Group B area with a single exit, then I do not see an issue.

Looks like roughly 4800 square feet. At 150 s.f. per person, that's 32 occupants. At 100 s.f. per person, it's 48 occupants.

The second exit might be required because of common path of travel length, especially if the building isn't sprinklered.

It would be good to discuss this with the building official. Offer to provide the demarcated 44 inch wide exit access aisle. This appears to meet the intent of the code if it doesn't meet the words, so it might be good to submit a code modification request.

2.Egress from a room or space shall not pass through adjoining or intervening rooms or areas, except where such adjoining rooms or areas and the area served are accessory to one or the other, are not a Group H occupancy and provide a discernible path of egress travel to an exit.

Does no one but me think that Ex. 2 can be used for the office folk can egress through their own warehouse? The same warehouse that they likely go in and out of several times a day?

Does no one but me think that Ex. 2 can be used for the office folk can egress through their own warehouse? The same warehouse that they likely go in and out of several times a day?
IMHO, no.

Exception #2:

In the proposed case, the warehouse area and the office are not accessory to one or the other. Egress through a warehouse is seldom kept with a discernible path of egress travel.

In my opinion, Exception #2, more aptly applies to situations where egress from something like an office building includes passing through a lobby or conference room. Lobby and conference rooms both being an assembly use, albeit accessory (given >10%) and thereby not designated Group A.

IMHO, no.

Exception #2:

In the proposed case, the warehouse area and the office are not accessory to one or the other. Egress through a warehouse is seldom kept with a discernible path of egress travel.

In my opinion, Exception #2, more aptly applies to situations where egress from something like an office building includes passing through a lobby or conference room. Lobby and conference rooms both being an assembly use, albeit accessory (given >10%) and thereby not designated Group A.
So if I own a business my warehouse is not accessory to my office? When my office folk are back and forth daily with checking orders and communicating with warehouse staff? Hunh

And by your example...You can't egress through a large lobby that is not accessory? Let's say an A lobby from a B office building?

So if I own a business my warehouse is not accessory to my office? When my office folk are back and forth daily with checking orders and communicating with warehouse staff? Hunh

And by your example...You can't egress through a large lobby that is not accessory? Let's say an A lobby from a B office building?
I am only speaking to Exception #2 as you asked about.

I am only speaking to Exception #2 as you asked about.
But what exception would you use in that circumstance? Or another example could/ would be a business cafeteria kitchen egressing back into the office building...

Ex. 2 seems to be the catch all for lets call it mixed use buildings/ spaces where "accessory uses" do not apply.....

another example could/ would be a business cafeteria kitchen egressing back into the office building...
If the cafeteria is large enough to separately classified - achieving non-accessory and Group A) - then it should not require travel back through the offices. Maybe a common egress corridor, but definitely not back into the cube farm. The path of egress has to remain defined.

If the cafeteria is large enough to separately classified - achieving non-accessory and Group A) - then it should not require travel back through the offices. Maybe a common egress corridor, but definitely not back into the cube farm. The path of egress has to remain defined.
Correct...I would never allow it through a "maze" of rooms, but if I walked out of an office area into a warehouse and saw an exit door, I am way good with that....If we are not arguing about egressing through another use, but the clarity of egress, I am good with that...

I think this meets the intent of the code as long as you don't look for the strictest interpretation of "accessory". Unfortunately there are some building officials in Virginia and elsewhere who do look for the strictest possible interpretation to turn something down.

It is safer than exception 2 to #5 since the office occupants are familiar with the warehouse area, whereas few shoppers in a store could find the stockroom in case of emergency.

It is safer than exception 2 to #5 since the office occupants are familiar with the warehouse area, whereas few shoppers in a store could find the stockroom in case of emergency.

And yet every Walmart I can recall has an exit sign over the door from the back of the store (usually between Toys and Electronics) to the storeroom.