• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

virtual inspections

Interesting,

With technology what it is, seems like at some point, should be able to do it.

I keep telling my boss, I can set at home and send my drone it to do the inspection, and I can see it from the screen at home!!!!!

A very interesting topic to say the least.

This list is expansive and can't say I agree with a vast amount that made it so I'll stick with a few items.

Roof mounted solar, I don't know about ya but let's just stick to the structure itself, even with the initial engineers review letter of the roof system and sign off I still look from the ground up between panels and roof, side clearance, top clearance, existing roof penetrations and inside the attic to verify rafters have not been split.

Insulation, so what about reaching into that corner or around the butted end of the nailer and finding missing strip in the cavity.

Retaining wall footings/light standard footings, the only way I can wrap my head around this is if a special inspector was onsite and verified soil conditions, rebar sizing, location of footing per plan and even then I'm not confident.

Sign replacement, attcachment concerns and electric, anyone feeling me on this.

A few items I can agree with for real time inspection;
Slab, Wallboard, Shower pan,

San Bernardino County Building Dept. hasn’t got the budget to hire enough inspectors to cover a huge area. The Building Department doesn’t even check plans. It comes down to a virtual inspection being better than no inspection.
The building department that I work for plans on implementing virtual inspection on the same scale as SB County. I’m not aware of a reason. The process is in the comment stage.....but I think it’s a done deal.

They must be out of their minds.....inspecting a furnace from a phone......el service upgrades....

Last edited: