• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

walk-in condensator draining to mop sink??

heartofglass

Bronze Member
We're installing a small walk-in cooler and we've been told that the condensator needs to drain w/ an indirect connection to a floor drain. Health inspector said it can "drain to any of your floor drains or floor sinks." Has anyone seen one draining to a floor-mounted janitorial/mop sink, and is there any reason NOT to do that per code? It's (kind of, sort of) a floor sink, right? The plumber said to check w/ inspector, but the inspector is on vacation. This is in California. I can't see any reason why this would be unsanitary if we're leaving an air gap as we would to the sunken floor sink/drain?

Maybe I'm misunderstanding a fundamental difference between how a sunken floor sink and a floor-mounted mop sink are plumbed or where they go to, but what comes out of the walk-in is just a bit of condensation, which hardly seems more dirty than what goes into the mop sink... right? :confused:

heartofglass said:
We're installing a small walk-in cooler and we've been told that the condensator needs to drain w/ an indirect connection to a floor drain. Health inspector said it can "drain to any of your floor drains or floor sinks." Has anyone seen one draining to a floor-mounted janitorial/mop sink, and is there any reason NOT to do that per code? It's (kind of, sort of) a floor sink, right? The plumber said to check w/ inspector, but the inspector is on vacation. This is in California. I can't see any reason why this would be unsanitary if we're leaving an air gap as we would to the sunken floor sink/drain?Maybe I'm misunderstanding a fundamental difference between how a sunken floor sink and a floor-mounted mop sink are plumbed or where they go to, but what comes out of the walk-in is just a bit of condensation, which hardly seems more dirty than what goes into the mop sink... right? :confused:
Yes it can when provided an air gap.

AIR GAP (Drainage System). The unobstructed vertical distance through the free atmosphere between the outlet of the waste pipe and the flood level rim of the receptacle into which the waste pipe is discharging.