• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

walk-in in a Type II

Re: walk-in in a Type II

Is your concern about combustibles within a Type II-B Building? I would consider a walk in cooler as a piece of equipment and not part of the building construction. If the building is sprinklered, sprinklers would be required both above and within the walk in.

Don't forget the following sections

2603.4.1.2 Cooler and freezer walls.

2603.4.1.3 Walk-in coolers.

IBC 2006

I have always considered a walk-in cooler/freezer as a prefabricated building component, no different than a site built room with its ceiling below the space's ceiling. Its a storage room (508.2) or S-1 use and subject to sprinklers and accessibility (ADAAG) requirements as a work space where an employee may approach, enter, and exit. No turnaround, no accessible shelving. (ADAAG, not ADA, is a referenced standard in Ohio). As long as it meets Chapter 26, there should be no problem, see 603.1 #3.

mtlogcabin said:
Don't forget the following sections2603.4.1.2 Cooler and freezer walls.

2603.4.1.3 Walk-in coolers.

IBC 2006
Thanks, they have this covered.

Coug Dad said:
Is your concern about combustibles within a Type II-B Building? I would consider a walk in cooler as a piece of equipment and not part of the building construction. If the building is sprinklered, sprinklers would be required both above and within the walk in.
The question is how many would treat walk ins as any other partition/room, which would require fire retardant-treated wood per 603.1. Or would you consider the wood like blocking?

TJacobs said:
The question is how many would treat walk ins as any other partition/room, which would require fire retardant-treated wood per 603.1. Or would you consider the wood like blocking?
My first instinct was, "Is it small enough to be reasonably treated as equimpment or furnishings?

On the other hand, if the building is large enough to require classification as type II, then an appropriately non-combustible solution should be found.

It could be FTR wood, are there any out there? Maybe wood around the door as a bolster, but, that's all. There are plenty of walk-ins out there that do not use wood framing. Ask for the UL label on the panels and door as well as the electrical equipment.