• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wall furnace

ICE

Oh Well
I am convinced that not many inspectors pay much attention to wall furnaces. The pictures are from a wall furnace replacement. The roof jack is covered with tar because it is rotten. The vent has no support so the elbow is coming apart. The attic shield is wide open because the round vent is larger than the shield.

There is never a ladder to see the vent in the attic. If the owner has no ladder, I must come back after the contractor provides a ladder. I haven't approved a wall furnace on the first inspection in a very long time. Half the time the furnace is placed in a hallway and even blocking doors. Nine times out of ten there is carpet below the furnace. Ten times out of ten, the wall finish material hasn't been removed to the center of the adjacent studs. That has me convinced that other inspectors aren't looking. Especially the lack of a ladder.

DSCN1709.jpg

DSCN1713.jpg

This couldn't be seen from the access but I knew it was there so I had to get dirty.

DSCN1718.jpg

McShan said:
Looks like some duct tape can bring this into compliance.
If I take prisoners, I use zip-ties.

The contractor that did this plead for mercy but I shot him anyway.

DSCN0692.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Unrelated but I have to mention, tradesmen that leave trash in attics and ceilings are HACKS!

(I fell better;))

chris kennedy said:
Unrelated but I have to mention, tradesmen that leave trash in attics and ceilings are HACKS!(I fell better;))
Sometimes it's hard to tell what's trash and what isn't.

IMG_2460.jpg

One man sees trash, another man sees an opportunity.

IMG_0686-1.jpg

Interesting runner board for the NM!

ICE, you left your clip board behind!

pc1

As simple as a wall furnace installation is, one would think it would get better over time with the same company.

DSCN1997.jpg

This is one of the great issue during the time of home architect. It should be inside as well as should be at a suitable position. Just an oppressive work.

Wall furnaces get no respect. I wrote a correction that there shall be no exposed carpet below the furnace. The sheet metal was held in place with double stick tape.

DSCN2451.jpg

DSCN2452.jpg

These are priceless!

Reminds me of a few I saw while insulating attics and doing weatherization. The one that really curled my toes was in a three story commercial building here in town. The wall heater in the bakery had a vent pipe that went through the wall into the space next door above a dropped ceiling, then into a masonry chimney on the far side of the building.

When this happens, which is too often, I should be able to call the contractor while driving and tell him no. But nooooooo, I get to knock on the door and wait minutes while they restrain Killer. Now I'm on the inside writing as fast as I can so I can get to fresh air. Of course there is no step ladder so I cant see the vent in the attic and I'll have to go in there again just for you. Probably several agains just because of you.

DSCN2676.jpg

A general contractor performed this work. Now he gets to do it for a second time. The dual sided furnace you see will be a single sided so I suppose the contractor is stuck with this furnace. This is on the first floor of a two story house. I see new vent in the attic and no attic shield. I left a notice to expose the entire vent. Considering how the job looks so far i need to see all of it.

DSCN2741.jpg

DSCN2745.jpg

DSCN2742.jpg

I notice a paucity of attic insulation in all of these pictures--we usually get at lease a foot--foot and half here depending on type for R38 code minimum.

Frank,

These houses average 50 years old and this is California.