• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Washer containment tub??

cda

Sawhorse 123
Not and IMC person

Heard today on a future apartment building that

The AHJ was going to require a tub under the washer???

Correct call? IMC code section and edition?

I see many installations when they put a tray underneath the washers and the tray has its own drain large enough to handle a complete rupture of the washing machine drum. Never really seen a tub or such underneath a washing machine.

Msradell said:
I see many installations when they put a tray underneath the washers and the tray has its own drain large enough to handle a complete rupture of the washing machine drum. Never really seen a tub or such underneath a washing machine.
Required by code??

2012 or maybe 2015??

A quick search of the 2015 IPC revealed a pan requirement... for water heaters. I find no such requirement for a washing machine though.

Once upon a time we put washers in the basement, on a concrete floor. When they leaked it was 'no harm, no foul' so to speak.

Today we tend to put them closer to where the bulk of our laundry is generated, often on the second floor where a leak is a much bigger potential problem.

Perhaps a local amendment?