• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

washers

• Thread starter JayHawkInspector
  • Start date
J

JayHawkInspector

Are 2 X 2 X 1/4 washers required?? Using the 2003 IRC. They are still using the small round washers here in southwest Kansas. They are also drilling one inch holes for 1/2 anchor bolts. For me they should use those square washers just on that fact alone.

Re: washers

sorry not familiar with s.w. kansas. what seismic design catagory? also can't find it right now in the 03,( might be a reference standard), but there is a max. size for bored holes over the size of bolt.

2003 IRC requires 3x3X1/4 plate washers in seismic D1, D2, and townhouses in C. Otherwise 1/2 x 7 bolts with plain washer. 2003 IBC requires 2x2x3/16 plate washers in seismic D, E, or F. 2006 IBC and IRC require 3x3x1/4 in the same respective seismic design categories. I don't know of a code section for maximum bore diameter.

JayHawk,

Square washers? Do you mean the foundation wall spreader tabs that are removed from the foundation wall after the wall is striped?

Globe Trekker,

Have'nt seen those in this area at all, amazing :shock:

I might see them on a future commercial job but doubt I will see them on any residential here, unless the the big box has them!