• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Washing machine trap

Uncle Bob

Do you see many of these washing machine drains?

(right click to enlarge)

Do you write this up?

Uncle Bob

Uncle Bob,

I don't see this particular configuration much either. Help us to see the violations!

Also, is that a vertical dryer exhaust vent? That's a definite "no-no!" :eek:

north star, not to hijack this thread, but where do you get the vertical dryer vent is a no-no? Not saying it's a good idea (or bad), but code allows it. Gives length limitations, not directional though.

Back to the OP, I agree with jar, not sure I could write anything up on it. Would have been real easy to add some blocking to center the box and get rid of some fittings,

I believe that qualifys as an "S" trap so not permitted. The plastic ty strap and the foil tape supporting the dryer exhaust would not be okay

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not seeing an S-trap (vent conection is above the wier).

If I am guessing correctly, the photo is taken from the garage. Piping installed in an exterior wall subjected to freezing temperature would be an issue here.

Glad to see they are using the proper nail plates. I have had a heck of a time getting the plumbing and HVAC guys to comply!

I don't see anything you could write the plumbing up for either........

I see the laundry box plumbed this way from time to time to make the drain in the box work.

What is not to code?

fatboy,

I did not see a "clean out" installed in Uncle Bob's picture. I should have clarified

my response by saying "No" regarding the installation of booster fans, that a lot

of builders want to try and install in a non-compliant manner.

As you already know, the "booster fan" limitations were removed from the `06

codes ( Section M1501.3, Exception #1 in the `03 IRC ), and according to some,

the manufacturer would have to approve the installation of a booster fan with

their dryer. There is a lot more to the vertical exhaust duct installations than

meets the eye. Also, some builders want to place the exhaust ducts on the interior

of a structure, thus, "possibly" making the length limitations unachievable.

Sorry for the inaccurate posting! Yes, "vertical exhaust ducts" are allowed, if

they are installed correctly.

Uncle Bob,

Is there, or was there a "clean out" planned for the vertical exhaust duct? :eek:

In our state vertical vent duct cleanouts only req on commercial.

Trap arm = >2D(drain dia.), right?

Should it be a 3'' drain line from the san-tee down Uncle Bob? IPC 406.3

I also agree with Mule on the nail plates 2'' above sole plate however the COG Amendments deleated this requirement.

Sorry for not responding sooner.

I've seen this type of plumbing several times; and as a plumber it just turns my stomach.

There is no reason for putting bends from the the washer box to the trap wier. This defeats and obstructs the flow and may cause a backup and flooding when the washing machine drains.

Unfortunately, a plumber can make the entire standpipe out of bends and it is not a code violation.

Most of you may not remember when the standpipe was 1 1/4 inches. The washing machine manufacturers decided that the machines did not drain fast enough and increased the size of the motors. This caused a lot of problems with backup and flooding because the the drain was not large enough to allow for proper drainage; and in new construction the size of the standpipe, trap and drain was increased to 2" to prevent backup and flooding.

As for the bends between the standpipe and the trap wier; most of the time this happens because the underground drain installation placed the drain too close to where the washer box outlet would have to be placed; making it impossible to place the trap correctly.

In this case; the washer box is not installed in accordance with the manufacturer's installation instructions (note, the wings on the washer box that are for securing the box to the studs). This causes an undue strain on the drain pipe, and the bends restricting the flow to the trap wier add to the problem.

If you looking for code violation you may want to see;

2006/2009 IRC, P2705.1, Number 2. Wall-hung fixtures shall be rigidly supported so that the strain is not transmitted to the plumbing system.

In this case, if the washing machine box had been correctly installed between the studs; there would have been no need to use bends between the box and the trap wier.

The picture is really just an example of really bad plumbing; which, unfortunately is not a code violation. Hopefully, the bends will not cause a backup and flooding.

Uncle Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
I could go with the installation instructions aspect regarding installation, but I don't think it would fall under the catagory of a " wall hung fixture" as used in chapter 4.

All vertical PVC pipes shall be supported at top, bottom and mid level of floors.....or something like that. Also needs a large nail plate at stud penetration.

Assuming two condensation lines are being stubbed out into the garage would be a violation.

When I cite these types of attachments the plumber just extends the strap to the far stud, not much of an improvement in my opinion.

Love the vertical dryer vent duct.

I was in a home with one of these 3 yrs or so after occupancy, and the whole little laundry room had a thin lint coating on every surface. I suggested to the occupant they clean the vertical duct.

Francis Vineyard said:
Assuming two condensation lines are being stubbed out into the garage would be a violation.When I cite these types of attachments the plumber just extends the strap to the far stud, not much of an improvement in my opinion.
These are likely secondary condensate lines or drain pan lines . . . no violation.

Jobsaver

Not a plumbing violation, R309.2 the garage shall be separated from the residence and its attic area by not less than ½ inch gypsum... the drain would defeat the minimum protection between the garage and dwelling.

But that's another topic.