• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

waste not, want not

ICE

Oh Well
IMG_3198.jpg

mtlogcabin said:
Aren't you in California? Where is the seismic strap on the beam clamp? http://www.erico.com/products/CADDYcfcBmRtnrAcces.asp
Thanks,

I didn't know about the retainer clips until I went to the web site you provided. I think it's great when I get questions answered that I asked in the past.

The clamps were an issue for me because the flange they are on has an angle on the upper side. It's not a steep angle but I didn't like the fact that the sides were not parallel. Believe it or not, I asked their engineer. I had other questions but I did ask about the clamps. The Eng. specified them in a letter. I beat one with a hammer and it held. I beat it pretty hard too. Now I find out that the engineer didn't know any more about the clamps than I did.

The T-bar is held to the steel with wire and the steel is held with the all-thread. It was a trapeze. I asked the engineer to specify braces on the steel. What I got was "brace the steel". So they braced the steel with left over weep screed, as you see. They did make the box support right with stud material.

The same crew did all of the trades and the job was a tough one. Their engineer blessed it all and so did mine. By the time I got to inspecting above the T-bar, the contractor had bailed. I had a jacked up el. service to deal with and the owner went through two more contractors before most of the work passed inspection.