• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Wasting money on dishwashers

Francis Vineyard

The Department estimates that dishwasher prices for consumers will increase by 13 percent, or $44 dollars, as a result of these standards.

DOE believes that the higher expense will be justified by reduced energy bills throughout the lifetime of the product; however, the Department’s analysis shows that consumers will only reach a breakeven point for their dishwashers after 11.8 years of steady use.

This being the case, many consumers will not see these benefits come to fruition: separate external estimates put the average lifespan of a dishwasher at between 9 and 12 years, meaning many American households will pay the higher appliance cost without gaining the benefit of lower long-term energy bills. In fact, for 18.7 percent of consumer households, this rule will impose a net cost, while an additional 64.1 percent of consumer households will not see any benefit.

Only 17.2 percent of consumers will see their dishwashers last long enough to reap the energy efficiency benefits of this rule.

Recoup the cost

Francis

I can agree to that.....based on my experience over the years, I would say you are lucky to get a good ten years out of a dishwasher.......

my mom's dishwasher was installed back in 1973 (39 years) and is still going strong ...... of course I think it's only been used 3 times. mom always said she had dishwashers that she was feeding already, why use electricity!