• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Water Closet seats

Codegeek

I've never seen a lid on a water closet seat before so when I saw one on an inspection something just didn't seem right. However, I cannot find any language in the IPC or the IBC/A117.1 that does not allow for a seat. Am I missing something?

I know the seat has to have an open front, but what about a lid?

Thanks.

Codegeek said:
I've never seen a lid on a water closet seat before so when I saw one on an inspection something just didn't seem right. However, I cannot find any language in the IPC or the IBC/A117.1 that does not allow for a seat. Am I missing something? I know the seat has to have an open front, but what about a lid?

Thanks.
420.3 requires open front but not a cover, or "lid"

Did it have a crochet cover or padlock? ;)

Concur with Gregg, not aware of any requirement that prohibits a lid!

pc1

Pcinspector1 said:
Did it have a crochet cover or padlock? ;) pc1
HAHA! Ok, just making sure since it didn't look like everything else I've seen. Thank you both.

mark handler said:
Does it matter? Code does not define occupancy for this. ?.
It matters to Rick. Does it matter why it matters to Rick? Wouldn't you expect to find toilet lids in flower shops and specialty cheese boutiques?

ICE said:
It matters to Rick. Does it matter why it matters to Rick? Wouldn't you expect to find toilet lids in flower shops and specialty cheese boutiques?
And thats why I asked the question, and did not just say it does not matter.....

Unlike what some may think, I do want to see/hear others perspectives.

not just a moot issue

I have not found the longated toilet seat with the elongated lid, is there one being made?

pc1

Mark,

Let me correct my question; I have not found the "open front" longated toilet seat with the elongated lid, is there one being made?

pc1

pwood,

Taking your question serious, The seat is not required to have a lever so I would think the lid would not require one either. The manufactures do not list the elongated seat with lid as ADA compliant in there descriptions so maybe this type seat/lid is non compliant. A lever or handle could be installed on the lids under side but could become problematic catching clothing or other issues when the user gets off the crapper?

pc1

I've seen elongated open front toilet seats with lids in motels a few times. The lids are usually too flimsy to sit on when you're putting on your socks, but they do keep stuff from getting dropped in the toilet.

The only time a lid might need lever hardware is if it had a latch (that would be strange!). The lid can be lifted without twisting your wrist, and takes less than 5 pounds force.