• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Water Entrance Pipe Location

Mech

2015 IPC

Is there a rule or restriction in the IPC, IBC, or some other code or standard that dictates how far horizontally into a building the domestic water pipe can extend underground before it must turn vertical and pass through the floor slab?

I believe NFPA has a limit for fire suppression piping.

Thanks

# ~ #

Mech,

No, there is nothing in the I-Codes that mandates a minimum
or maximum horizontal distance...…..Typically, costs of the piping

materials & labor are the what drives the installation...…..I would
also add that the overall design of the structure has an emphasis
on where the water service piping enters a bldg...…….Some designs
have the water service piping enter at exterior mechanical rooms,
then the water distribution piping is installed to go in to other
rooms \ areas...………..It is cheaper to have the larger sized piping
enter at the exterior rooms and then downsized to the smaller
piping for the rest of the structure.

# ~ #

Last edited:
Thanks North Star.

The only consideration I knew of is limiting future trenching if the pipe ever needed to be uncovered.

I believe NFPA has a limit for fire suppression piping.
I'm not sure about recent editions of NFPA but I've been in many older facilities where editions have been put on the original buildings and underground water supply for fire protection systems run several hundred feet under the addition in many cases.

No, the only argument you might have is water service pipe vs. water distribution pipe (like building drain vs. building sewer), but if it meets both standards, would be fine...