• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Water Heater Sizing

Mech

2009 code series

I thought some codebook somewhere in the ICC arsenal stated that water heaters must be sized by the manufacturer. Am I remembering correctly? Where does it state this?

Thanks

2009 IPC

Chapter 5 Water Heaters. Chapter 5 regulates the design, approval and installation of water heaters and related safety devices. The intent is to minimize the hazards associated with the installation and operation of water heaters. Although this code does not regulate the size of a water heater, it does regulate all other aspects of the water heater installation such as temperature and pressure relief valves, safety drip pans, installation and connections. Where a water heater also supplies water for space heating, this chapter regulates the maximum water temperature supplied to the water distribution system.

2009 IRC

Chapter 28 Water Heaters. Chapter 28 regulates the design, approval and installation of water heaters and related safety devices. The intent is to minimize the hazards associated with the installation and operation of water heaters. Although this chapter does not regulate the size of a water heater, it does regulate all other aspects of the water heater installation such as temperature and pressure relief valves, safety drip pans and connections. Where a water heater also supplies water for space heating, this chapter regulates the maximum water temperature supplied to the water distribution system.

I was thinking more along the lines of: I am designing an office building for 50 people with two lavatories and one kitchen sink. What size water heater and input (gph oil, kW electric, cfh gas) do we need for a one hour recovery? I cannot find anything in the IPC nor in the IECC that requires the manufacturer to size the water heater. Maybe I read something wrong or was misinformed.

don't even know that hot water is required. I believe the code calls for tempered water in commercial uses. No minimum or maximum temp.

I guess the question is why would the maker get involved and be required to size it????

depends on how much hot water a building needs... and... if water conservation is a concern, some places are limiting the amount of water that can be left in the hot water lines is 87 ounces (about 11 cups)... you'll have to design the plumbing system and include insta hots even in some homes. (Which means the plan review needs to ask for more than a domestic water riser diagram).