• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Water heater

ICE

Oh Well
I guess the contractor didn't think I would notice since the door to the enclosure wasn't there.

IMG_0015-1.jpg

There's got to be another way to do this.

IMG_3097.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
We don't have those enclosures, looks like yours is outside. Are there energy code requirements specific to exterior locations in your locale?

jar546 said:
Are there energy code requirements specific to exterior locations in your locale?
There is a minimum R value for the tank, which escapes me at the moment, and the first five feet of pipes must be insulated. This is not specific to outdoor installations and applies to all water heaters. I suppose the reason the R value escapes me is because I never pay any attention to it.

ICE said:
There is a minimum R value for the tank, which escapes me at the moment, and the first five feet of pipes must be insulated. This is not specific to outdoor installations and applies to all water heaters. I suppose the reason the R value escapes me is because I never pay any attention to it.
clearances to combustibles from the flue pipe for the pipe insulation trumps the energy code in pwoods neighborhood!