• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Water intrusion.

Zero

Hey guys this has been on my mind for a while now so I thought I would drum up some information before I call in a few contractors for estimates.

So I purchased my first home this summer and about a month afterwards we had our first heavy rain. I was in the basement and about 20 Mins after the rain started some cracks in the floor of my basement began making small water run offs toward the drain and 3 spots looked like small water fountains with enough pressure to push the water up into the air.
What I know
1 the starts entering on the right side and gradually extends the whole span.
2 it is not a lot of water my drain has no back up when the water hits it.
3 the left side has an old French drain. The left just has a sloped concrete side walk that touches my house and slopes minimally away.

My question
1. Thoughts on remedies
2. Should those remedies consist of patching and sealing the concrete in my basement, installing a drainage system next to my house on the right and cleaning out the French drain on the left? Both? Or is there something I am not seeing?

Sorry I don't have pictures but I just want to be able to know enough to tell if I am paying for a bandaid or a full repair when I have these guys out. I am not so much worried about prices as I am about procedures to remedy being wise. Thanks guys.

Sounds like the water table is coming up through the floor. If the basement was constructed close to the water table, your options may be fairly limited. You could try to seal the cracks, but the hydraulic pressure may be enough to either push the sealant out of the cracks or fracture the slab. What's the topography of the land like? is there a way to lower the water table in this area? How old is the house?

The water comes up above the floor by about about an inch in thoes three spots so pressure isn't crazy but it is water so I imagine it doesn't take much for it to build up if all those spot are sealed up

Check and clean the French drains

Not a basement person, but might want to add a better drain system

Make sure the yard is graded so there is no standing water and downspouts discharge away from the house.

If the basement isn't finished it might be less expensive to cut the slab and install a drain than to excavate outside the foundation and add waterproofing and an exterior footing drain.

Is your house in the Fan?

I live in Northside. The grading of the yard is something I will seek out some estimates for. Will this require permitting to accomplish? I assume so. The French drain just needs power washed out I can have my room mate tackle that this weekend. But digging up the floor to install drainage would require a pump correct? Any specific type/ models that are recommended? What kind of contractor would I seek out for this also? Thanks guys.

Maybe when you have a good rain

Take pictures all sides of house

See where the water pools/flows outside

Can help you and whoever regrades

Permit should not be required

Permits usually aren't required for minor grading. Filling in the low spot or creating a swale a few inches deep sloping a few inches to a lower spot along the street (not your neighbor's yard!) will keep water from ponding.

My first house was built over an intermittent spring and had similar issues in the spring and fall (wet seasons).
It's not necessarily surface water going into the ground and perking up in the basement.
Find a reputable geo-technical engineer to evaluate and determine the cause first, then look for a reputable contractor to implement the engineer's fix.