• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Water requirements for fire protection under National building code

PrabhatC9

This is a new project. Based on the FUS study and applying all variances (auto sprinkler system, occupancy and exposure), the water storage requirement on site is 60,000 gallons. We want to install an underground fiber optic tank for max 30,000 gallons capacity. The main floor area is 1568m2 and the second floor is 837m2 with a basement and kitchen 1568m2. We don't have the City's water supply. Q1. How to calculate the water supply requirement based on the National Building Code? Q2. What's the basis of variances to consider outside of occupancy, exposure, and auto sprinkler system? Q3. Are there any Fire Protection Consultants in Edmonton or Alberta who have experience in rural properties or similar exposure?

1) FYI, you posted in the 'Murican section, rather than the Canadian section.
2) Variances are for property uses (zoning), not building code. You may be thinking of alternative solutions.
3) Supply rates are in standards like NFPA 13, NFPA 20, etc. The sprinkler designer will tell you what is required, based on the design of the sprinkler, the building occupancy classification and other variables.

Generally speaking, the requirement is to be able to supply all on-site firefighting demands for one hour for low-risk occupancy, two hours for others. 60,000 gallons (272,000 litres may be enough. May not.) I had a similar project that *had* access to town water, but the flow rates weren't enough so they build a fire pond.

Note that NBC allows for "water on site" to suffice for firefighting efforts. I have a lobster-holding facility that's located 30 metres from the ocean. Building didn't require a sprinkler, and the ocean (and lobster tanks) are "sufficient water onsite." Also nicely salinated, so no worry about freezing. Pain in the tush on the firefighting gear, but code doesn't say the water can't be the ocean.

Last edited:
1) FYI, you posted in the 'Murican section, rather than the Canadian section.
2) Variances are for property uses (zoning), not building code. You may be thinking of alternative solutions.
3) Supply rates are in standards like NFPA 13, NFPA 20, etc. The sprinkler designer will tell you what is required, based on the design of the sprinkler, he building occupancy and other variables.

Generally speaking, the requirement is to be able to supply all on-site firefighting demands for one hour for low-risk occupancy, two hours for others. 60,000 gallons (272,000 litres may be enough. May not.) I had a similar project that *had* access to town water, but the flow rates weren't enough so they build a fire pond.

Note that NBC allows for "water on site" to suffice for firefighting efforts. I have a lobster-holding facility that's located 30 metres from the ocean. Building didn't require a sprinkler, and the ocean (and lobster tanks) are "sufficient water onsite." Also nicely salinated, so no worry about freezing. Pain in the tush on the firefighting gear, but code doesn't say the water can't be the ocean.
Thanks for your response. What's Murican section? Where can I find Canadian section?

Your fire protection engineer is going to design the cistern and associated fire pump requirements. People who are not skilled in this design should not attempt it. Your post does not have anywhere near the information necessary to perform the calculation.

Plumbing demand will come from the plumbing code. Your mechanical engineer will be able to properly size the demand for the domestic water supply. Again, your post is lacking necessary information to perform the calculation.

I've never seen a situation where the fire and domestic water supply have been from the same system. Even connecting to municipal systems, there is usually a fire and domestic line that is run in from the water main.

Your fire protection engineer is going to design the cistern and associated fire pump requirements. People who are not skilled in this design should not attempt it. Your post does not have anywhere near the information necessary to perform the calculation.

Plumbing demand will come from the plumbing code. Your mechanical engineer will be able to properly size the demand for the domestic water supply. Again, your post is lacking necessary information to perform the calculation.

I've never seen a situation where the fire and domestic water supply have been from the same system. Even connecting to municipal systems, there is usually a fire and domestic line that is run in from the water main.
Thanks for your input. What information is needed to perform the calculation as per the building code?

Thanks for your input. What information is needed to perform the calculation as per the building code?
Like I said in the similar thread you started in the American side, that's all calculations done by various standards, including NFPA 13. Much depends on the occupancy classification and use of the building: (think: a grocery store versus a tire manufacturer or wool processing plant).

Like I said in the similar thread you started in the American side, that's all calculations done by various standards, including NFPA 13. Much depends on the occupancy classification and use of the building: (think: a grocery store versus a tire manufacturer or wool processing plant).
Thanks,