• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

water station versus drinking fountain

Philippe

I am an architect working on an office building for an engineering firm. The plumbing engineer insists that we can substitute the drinking fountain for a water station. I disagree. He called the building Department and was told that it would be OK to do so. I still disagree based on my interpretation of the code.

Any body out there that went through this with a hard permitted answer?

Pleas elet me know.

Welcome to the board

What code and state helps with the answer.

I am in Montana and yes the state ammended the UPC and a water station can be substituded for a drinking fountain. We do not enforce ADAAG.

Is a water station a goose neck faucet at a sink location?

You got me scratching!

So, what is a water station? or the "mythical water station ?"

Is it a barrel found in the desert with a flag above that supplies water for desert crossers!, no longer mythical!

It could be the white button next to the cola dispenser that's labeled water! but not required in some restaurants!

Still like to know the answer?

I believe the term is water cooler

DOJ Standards for Accessible Design, 28 CFR Part 36, App. A

4.1.3(10) Drinking Fountains:

...a water cooler; or by such other means as would achieve the required accessibility for each group on each floor.)

IBC 2006 E105.1 Water coolers. Where water coolers are provided, at least 50 percent, but not less than one, of such units provided on each floor shall comply with ICC A117.1

with alternate means, a BO could allow a Water Station, but like a water cooler, shall comply with with reach issues and what happens with the replenisment of cups
F_kkcqA3RXAt7K3IhrhbPSYdnun1Dr5WUeNXkNz5PomGMYocktPHWxvwi6XCQJsMu08T7SMR-sG1G3OOe1AsXtXC1crwzjGKC1XU7NITlRPs1zBQm1nq9EeR2o_GicOhF3E71V-xXwOVx_F1lJzz

Phillipe,

Welcome to The Codes Forum! :)

A water station can mean different things to different people. Some might classify

them as:

a "drinking water station dispenser"

Drink_Station_Water_dispenser.jpg

Others might classify them as a "water filtering / purification system"

a "drinking water station with reverse osmosis system"

water_station_with_reverse_osmosis_system.jpg

If the AHJ has made a ruling, then that's probably the end of the discussion.

I guess that you COULD gather various pieces of visual literature and go and

see the BO to discuss. Your option!

Hope this helps!

Also, maybe the BO is thinking of something like these:

watercoolers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Water stations are a California thing, allowed in restaurants in lieu of drinking fountains.

brudgers said:
Water stations are a California thing, allowed in restaurants in lieu of drinking fountains.
Though I respect your opinion, Not California thing, A UPC THING, " Where food is consumed indoors, water stations may be substituted for drinking fountains. ....A drinking fountain shall not be required in occupancies of 30 or less."

Last edited by a moderator:
Regarding accessibility, UPC is irrelevant.

It's part of California's accessibility code.

brudgers said:
Regarding accessibility, UPC is irrelevant. It's part of California's accessibility code.
WATER STATION's is nowhere in the CA accessibility codes. The CA accessibility codes only use the term "WATER FOUNTAINS". The only place "WATER STATION" is used is in the plumbing code.

mark handler said:
WATER STATION's is nowhere in the CA accessibility codes. The CA accessibility codes only use the term "WATER FOUNTAINS". The only place "WATER STATION" is used is in the plumbing code.
And "water coolers" are NOT in the California commercial accessibility code, only WATER FOUNTAINS.