• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Water urinal with no flushometer?

Yikes

Gold Member
I have an ADA retrofit project that requires a new single accommodation restroom in lieu of trying to make existing multi-user restrooms accessible. In the name of "equivalent facilitation", we need this restroom to have a urinal as well as a WC and sink.
The problem is, most urinals have a flushometer valve - 40 fixture units - and the AHJ is requiring full forensic riser diagrams for the entire building if we add more than 20 FU.

Therefore I'm look for an alternate to a flushometer urinal. I know I can do a waterless urinal, but for sanitation reasons, the owner prefers a water urinal.

Does anyone know of a modern water urinal that has some type of tank?

Some jurisdictions require the rough plumbing to be installed for a conventional urinal along with the water-less urinal. The idea is that the stink will bother them enough to want a real urinal.

I've seen tanks for water closets that go in walls. I don't know whether they also make one for a urinal.

40 FU sounds extremely high for a fixture that only uses a gallon or less per flush. Maybe that's a California thing. The IPC says a 3/4" flushometer for a urinal is only 5 FU.