• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Ways to comply with M504.3 cleanout

SCBO1

Platinum Member
M504.3 Cleanout. Each vertical riser shall be provided with a means of cleanout.

Removing the elbow at the base of the dryer would that be a means of cleanout meeting the intent of the code?

Any products like a t-vent?

Any other solutions?

ICE, No funny stuff from the concrete jungle!

pc1

We didn't include the mechanical part of the IRC but the section # corresponds with the clothes dryer section in the CMC and there is no cleanout mentioned.

ICE, I thought for sure you had a picture of someone using a sock or something odd. This is a commercial project with one dryer.

2006 IMC

cda, First publication I have seen. This project has the dryer on a tenant wall.

Thanks.

pc1

Seems like disconnecting it at the dryer and wall meets the intent.

I did not see what adding another opening at the bottom gains you

I hate totally vertical runs , they should be outcoded.

cda, the exact comment from the contractor, "Why can't you just disconnect it at the base of the dryer?"

I have not seen any thing other than an inline lint trap so far.

also the 2012IMC has changed the horizontal length to 35'. (2006IMC - 25ft)

pc1

Pcinspector1 said:
cda, the exact comment from the contractor, "Why can't you just disconnect it at the base of the dryer?" I have not seen any thing other than an inline lint trap so far.

also the 2012IMC has changed the horizontal length to 35'. (2006IMC - 25ft)

pc1
If you have the commentary or access to it, that makes more sense, and should be part of the code section.

"The intent of this code element is to provide an accessible means to remove the lint accumulation that would fall vertically (settle) to a low spot in the vertical run. If a means already exist to access this, (i.e., the usual ell through the drywall or a dryer box) then a cleanout is not required."

cda said:
Seems like disconnecting it at the dryer and wall meets the intent.I did not see what adding another opening at the bottom gains you

I hate totally vertical runs , they should be outcoded.
If you outcode vertical runs then you have to use the one ft run straight through the exterior wall. But that makes too much sense and improves dryer and energy efficiency.