• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

We are Seeing More Copper-Clad Aluminum in Small Conductors

jar546

Forum Coordinator
The copper-clad aluminum industry is still in the midst of a very heavy marketing campaign. I have already been to a seminar where the copper-clad aluminum manufacturers were able to strut their stuff. I have to admit, their data is impressive. The Achilles heel in the whole thing is the fact that the process of coating the aluminum must be perfect, and when it is, the results are rather robust. This will be a weight and cost savings for the contractors so they are on board. The inspection industry needs to be on board, too, and the 2023 NEC is trying to keep up with technology. Let's look at some basic code verbiage from the 2023 NEC.

240.4(D) Small Conductors.
Unless specifically permitted in 240.4(E) or (G), the overcurrent protection shall not exceed that required by 240.4(D)(1) through (D)(8) after any correction factors for ambient temperature and number of conductors have been applied.

240.4(D)(3) 14 AWG Copper-Clad Aluminum.
10 amperes, provided all the following conditions are met:
  • (1) Continuous loads do not exceed 8 amperes
  • (2) Overcurrent protection is provided by one of the following:
    • a. Branch-circuit-rated circuit breakers are listed and marked for use with 14 AWG copper-clad aluminum conductor.
    • b. Branch-circuit-rated fuses are listed and marked for use with 14 AWG copper-clad aluminum conductor.
240.4(D)(5) 12 AWG Aluminum and Copper-Clad Aluminum.
15 amperes

240.4(D)(7) 10 AWG Aluminum and Copper-Clad Aluminum.
25 amperes

One of my sticking points with CCA, unless my information is out of date, is that wire connectors listed only for use with Cu may not be used with CCA. See, e.g.

But IIRC, this is in contrast to the listing standards for devices like receptacles and switches, where any termination rated for Cu may be used for CCA.

Cheers, Wayne

One of my sticking points with CCA, unless my information is out of date, is that wire connectors listed only for use with Cu may not be used with CCA.
You Sir, are correct.

Terminals of 15-ampere and 20-ampere snap switches and receptacles are for use with copper and copper-clad aluminum conductors only, unless marked "CO/ALR” which then allows for use with aluminum, copper and copper-clad aluminum conductors. Terminals of switches and receptacles rated 30-amperes and above are for use with copper conductors only, unless marked "AL/CU" that allows for use with aluminum, copper and copper-clad aluminum conductors. These statements are supported by Section 404.15(C) and 406.3(C) of the 2020 NEC and UL guide information for receptacles and snap switches in product categories RTRT and WJQR, respectively. The UL guide information can be found online in UL’s Product iQ, formerly known as the UL White Book.

From my understanding, the "20A struggle" is terminating the #10s...they are working on that...I know a guy...
Which is why it is imperative that we share this information since our industry is seeing more of it. Ignorance is not really bliss when it comes to safety. I hope that this thread opens up some eyes and educates a few people.