• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

We are stupid now and then

ICE

Oh Well
Some years ago, we started accepting furnaces with a field installed cord and attachment plug. The reason that we had required a hard wired disconnect is that the furnace was not listed or shipped with a cord and attachment plug.

One local jurisdiction after another quit asking for the hard wire and then we did too. The reason for relaxing the requirement is that we don't know for a fact that the furnace in front of us didn't come with the cord and plug. That's a load of crap but it's my load of crap, so I do as I am told....mostly....not always

I told this company to install a hard wire with a disconnect. And get a permit for the disconnect.

I am not a fan of this type of B vent connector. They have it so crooked that it hasn't made up with the furnace.

It never will because it's upside down.

+ \ + \

ICE,

Are you sure that's a Type B vent ?.....I see the manufacturer listing

on the connector, but the vent itself looks like a flex dryer duct.

/ + / +

north star said:
+ \ + \ICE,

Are you sure that's a Type B vent ?.....I see the manufacturer listing

on the connector, but the vent itself looks like a flex dryer duct.

/ + / +
Furnaces are tested under UL 1995 and are not approved for cord connection.

The connector is flex and not B vent.

Are you ever lucky enough to get a good inspection sent your way?

If you roll the picture over and blow it up, you can see where it says for use with type B vent. You are correct that it is not type B.... it isn't type anything.

I saw this today. I guess these folks think it is B-vent. Granted, they may not have been able to read English but you would think that an arrow would give them a clue.

American metal products assembled in Mexico and probably made in china. Not approved for use in

Pc1

I like the lack of 1' clearance that was required on the first label, and lacking on the fascia at the exterior...... yikes!

pwood said:
sue, Kind of reminds you of your previous jurisdiction i'll bet. :mrgreen:
Yep, though you wouldn't find one of these new fangled contraptions there, no firebox to load wood into. :p

Sue

The flex connector to the furnace is a listed b vent flex connector, we see them used quite a bit here. They can't extend through any partitions such as walls or ceilings, can't be used in concealed locations, and need to be properly supported/ secured in place. ICE, the one in your first picture (and second) is installed upside down. I would also fail them for not properly securing the vent to the furnace.

The second picture....WOW... Again, the b vent flex connector can't go through a partition- the enclosure around the appliance. Under the eave, not only needs 1" clearance to combustibles, but it also doesn't appear to have upward slope. Finally, per its listing, b vent can't be exposed to the outdoors below the roof line.