• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

We need a hot topic thread

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Remember the stairs to the attic thread at the old ICC forum?

We need a good one like that to get something started here. Something controversial, something that is common for many officials to see, something that is debatable, something.............. well, you know what I mean.

Any ideas? I want to keep it code related/specific.

Francis Vineyard said:
How about stuff in the codes that nobody seems to enforce such as ....Francis
That list could go on and on, and then there is a list of things that are enforce but aren't in the codes specifically.

One of my favorites as a plans examiner is when a new tenant finish or change of occupancy comes in, and the RDP sees it as beneath themselves to note the existing hardware on a MOE door because it is existing, yet when we get to final inspection, and they are missing the correct hardware (and sometimes the required signage in 1008.1.8.3.2.2), they still want to complain because nobody told them, even though my comments state, "existing hardware not noted on plans shall comply with all applicable code sections (i.e., 1008.1.8.3, etc.) and be verified prior to issuance of certificate of occupancy."

Yeah, that one seems to stir the pot around these here parts. Painting exterior gas lines and un-wrapped pvc in return plenums used to be the big ones on commercial inspections.

One of my residential favorites is using PL400 (especially applying it in cold weather) as part of your up-lift connection on covered decks and porches.

How come you can test Residential pvc, Drain, Waste & V ( DWV ) lines with air, but not

Commercial DWV lines? :confused: Section P2503.1 ( IRC ) vs, Section 312.1 ( IPC )?

fatboy said:
We can always talk about RFS's if nothing else comes to mind.
Are residential fire sprinklers required in an attic accessed with non-compliant stairs?

All great ideas. How about you folks start those topics in the appropriate areas and lets see what happens.

Thanks!

I will start my own too as soon as I find something controversial

We already have some hot topic threads, we just stopped looking at them. If we sticky them they may get more action.

globe trekker said:
How come you can test Residential pvc, Drain, Waste & V ( DWV ) lines with air, but notCommercial DWV lines? :confused: Section P2503.1 ( IRC ) vs, Section 312.1 ( IPC )?

We didn't adopt the plumbing section of the IRC and I am surprised that the IRC condones an air test on pvc. What is the PSI required? If it's five psi that's required, don't be shocked if it's fifty-five when you get there.

Last edited by a moderator:
= = =

"here is one, domestic cooking appliances used in commercial buildings, &same one kind of, ...Thread: Break Room appliances/counter height vs ADA"
These dogs are already hunting " gb " ! :D & & &

We need to start a thread on the commentary, and how it is not code but has a big impact on code interpretation.