• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

We only build with wood because it’s cheap

We have been using it in America since the beginning and many are still standing if maintained.
No it is not stone but stone and concrete have been known to fail.

I am going to start a movement to ban wood from construction. Who's with me!?
Come on out to the IBC/IRC code change hearings, you can join in with the Concrete and Steel groups, that is always their goal.

After living in Florida for almost 9 years, I am mostly anti-wood other than roof trusses, maybe, some of the time.

I would concur with that, if I were in a coastal or earthquake prone region, I would be looking at concrete and steel also. Same in our Rocky's in CO, I would be looking at fire-resistant construction.

In California where we worry about earthquakes and don't have hurricanes masonry buildings are often problematic.

Wood buildings last. For example my neighborhood is probably older than 70 years and the house values are still appreciating.

In any case the video is biased and evidences a lack of understanding of a number of issues. Who sponsored the video?

In California where we worry about earthquakes and don't have hurricanes masonry buildings are often problematic.

Wood buildings last. For example my neighborhood is probably older than 70 years and the house values are still appreciating.

In any case the video is biased and evidences a lack of understanding of a number of issues. Who sponsored the video?
I don't know if anyone in particular sponsored the video. Here is a list of some of their advertisers. https://cheddar.com/advertise

I have so many questions, I’m not sure where to start?

I’ll preface this, I’m not pro wood or steel or concrete. I actually started my career in masonry, loved it. Received many awards and offers but for me that career track will have you using a back brace among other vices by age 30, voluntary or involuntary. Not a terrible preventive measure but I didn't want to join the ranks of the involuntary.

You have a bldg code “built” around wood construction, do you think it’s possible accomplish banning wood and If so why? Even the highly progressive and to some seemingly over the top state of California hasn’t banned wood!

Why would a person propose to start a movement to ban on a product that’s been economical and used productively for longer then we’ve been alive?

You have moved states and witnessed a now preferred method of construction. Expanding knowledge is fantastic for all but I ask why does this new region of residence rely on alternate methods of construction, could it be moisture or strength to deal with those regional conditions? Although wood structures albeit limited due exist in that region and have lasted the test of time, some better then others.

Wood is acceptable for one part of a build (roof) but not another (walls)? So it’s durable and strong enough as a roof assembly but not a wall assembly. If your going to go for it, why not go it all the way with the ban.

Is it you seek a greener process, saving the forest?

I have so many questions, I’m not sure where to start?

I’ll preface this, I’m not pro wood or steel or concrete. I actually started my career in masonry, loved it. Received many awards and offers but for me that career track will have you using a back brace among other vices by age 30, voluntary or involuntary. Not a terrible preventive measure but I didn't want to join the ranks of the involuntary.

You have a bldg code “built” around wood construction, do you think it’s possible accomplish banning wood and If so why? Even the highly progressive and to some seemingly over the top state of California hasn’t banned wood!

Why would a person propose to start a movement to ban on a product that’s been economical and used productively for longer then we’ve been alive?

You have moved states and witnessed a now preferred method of construction. Expanding knowledge is fantastic for all but I ask why does this new region of residence rely on alternate methods of construction, could it be moisture or strength to deal with those regional conditions? Although wood structures albeit limited due exist in that region and have lasted the test of time, some better then others.

Wood is acceptable for one part of a build (roof) but not another (walls)? So it’s durable and strong enough as a roof assembly but not a wall assembly. If your going to go for it, why not go it all the way with the ban.

Is it you seek a greener process, saving the forest?

So much for my vision of better quality construction for longevity like europe. Now I feel like John Belushi in Animal House

Buddhist temple Horyu-ji

The Buddhist temple Horyu-ji, in Japan, is composed of several buildings. Its five-story wood-and-stucco pagoda, originally built in 607, stands out as the oldest wooden construction in the world: it is more than 1,400 years old.
1613411868407.png

Jar
Have you come across older buildings constructed with Dade county pine? https://dadecountypine.com/
When I worked on renovating the Coral Gables Biltmore Hotel in the mid 80's you could not hammer a nail in it or drill a screw in it with out twisting the screw off. We used a powder actuated nail gun with brown shot to drive a 3/4" nail in. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miami_Biltmore_Hotel
A lot of house where built with Dade county pine and have been through many hurricanes and survived with little or no structural damage.

The old masonry structures we see are the ones that have survived. What happened to the others.

The problem is not with the material but with the design (formal or informal) of the building. A appropriately designed wood building can resist hurricanes and an appropriately designed masonry (reinforced masonry) can survive an earthquake. On the other hand if not done properly neither type of construction will be adequate.

If properly followed the provisions of the IRC can mitigate against the worst, but it is subject to misinterpretation. The IBC does a better job of of providing guidance but there was pressure for a simpler code. The problem is that contractors and most building department plan checkers and inspectors have not had the training that engineers have and are not able to identify when codes are being improperly interpreted and what to do in special situations.

A little less bashing of California. If California is such a bad place why do so many people want to move here?

A little less bashing of California. If California is such a bad place why do so many people want to move here?
[/QUOTE]

I believe you have misinterpreted the following comment, “Even the highly progressive AND TO SOME SEEMINGLY OVER THE TOP state of California hasn’t banned wood!”.

Also, all reports I’ve seen indicate California is seeing an exodus of migration not an influx.

This isn't gonna end well?

Back when your ancestors lived in caves there was some guy that proposed a movement to use wood I suspect!

From the classes I have taken it seems they are pushing an extremely pro-wood narrative right now in college (which ties in very nicely with the CLT-tall wood movement). Lots of time spent teaching about the evils of concrete, masonry and steel. Almost all from an energy point of view. I guess they aren't worried about deforestation anymore. I wish they would make my mind up for me and tell me what I am supposed to like on a more consistent basis.

We only build with wood because it's cheap...

Yup, we only drive Honda/Toyota/Ford/etc. because they are cheap too. Maybe if we weren't all so cheap, we'd all drive Bugatti's.

I'd say this has been over-simplified a bit too far and gone into the ridiculous realm.

Yup, we only drive Honda/Toyota/Ford/etc. because they are cheap too. Maybe if we weren't all so cheap, we'd all drive Bugatti's.
I think Jar drives a souped-up Vestpa with no helmet!

Bugatti....that's probably Kennedy's style!